Waterpump

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
The symptoms are rapidly rising temp gauge, steam coming out of engine bay, lots of coolant underneath. Seems pretty obvious but it only has 40,000 mi on it since 2000. Since there isn't a cap on the radiator how do you check to see if it is pumping? The expansion tank is the high point in the system so looking in there shows nothing.

All the hoses and clamps are good, viscous clutch upgrade and multi blade fan (9?) turning when the engine runs. It looks like the coolant came from the small expansion tank relief hose. No bearing noise, oil is clear and no warning signs of any type. All of this in rush hour downtown traffic. Could have been worse. Flat deck trip to the hanger and I'll pick it up with the trailer next week.

Searched "water pumps" (57 hits) and there doesn't seem to be a recommendation on brands - just buy from reputable seller. Before I order one could this be anything else? Faulty (stuck ) thermostat? Air bubble? Alien adduction?

Sad part is a renovation on the house and hand surgery Oct 8 means that's it for this years driving.

Doug

steve in reno

Reaction score
Doug
Not sure about the alien abduction as the problem.
Stuck thermostat possible for sure. And most likely other than pump failure.
Did the temp rise happen all of a sudden? Been losing fluid?
The reservoir is located at a height that gives you a level relative to radiator level. If it is low so is radiator.
Air in line possible. But you know how to bleed/ relieve that problem.

OK. Alien abduction it is!
steve

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Waterpump or "bring me a bucket I think I'm going to puke"

Ok not aliens - must be global warming. Temp rise was sudden followed quickly by the loss of fluid. Like the rad needed a good purge and hurled like an engineer during frosh week. No previous leaks.

When I get the car home I'll fill/bleed/fill till I know it is topped and see what happens but I don't think that fluid level was down. Based on the results, I'll change the thermostat at the same time as the pump.

Doug

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen when I was warming the car up after it had not been started in about a month; went inside and forgot about the car running; came out about 20 - 30 mins later and the car was spewing radiator fluid all over the place. I checked all hoses and clamps and determined there were no leaks. The culprit was a stuck thermostat. Replace thermostat and make sure to, at least, start the car (and let it get to normal operating temperature) every week. These cars are old, but still need to be driven/operated regularly to keep things working.

good luck,

Walt

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Waterpump VS Thermostat

In the back of my mind I suspect the thermostat (wishful thinking?) is the problem - like yours I can go weeks without driving then do a couple of hundred miles in one trip. I'll pull the thermostat and test on the stove and also run the engine without at thermostat to test the waterpump.

Aug 31
Turns out it was the thermostat. Wouldn't open until 90c and then only 3mm. Ran the engine at 2500 - 3000 for twenty minutes and the gauge just got out of the blue zone. I'll take it out for a road test to confirm everything ok and then flush and re-fill and probably not bother with a thermostat this season.

Last edited: