Weatherstrip Advice sought 1973 E9

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The attached seal sections all have lips and are all flange mounted. Can the forum please advise which direction the sealing lips face for each location? Forward or aft direction.

The fourth seal I do not have a part number and need to know it's mounting location.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 51711810530.jpg
    51711810530.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 51711810531.jpg
    51711810531.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 51715780175.jpg
    51715780175.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Unknown Seal Location.jpg
    Unknown Seal Location.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 137

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if pic **175 (the 3rd one) is about 8' long, i think it goes along the backside of the engine compartment ... wrapping from the firewall back to the firewall.

isn't xx530 a trunk seal? is it about 17' long?

the real key to location is always length.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first and last pics have metal in the seal I think, the only seals with 90 degree angle is radiator panel. Could number 2 be the large hood seal?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
***530 goes along the front panel just in front of the radiator. ***531 goes onto the top of the firewall and ***175 sits in the rain gutter below the front windshield (I don't glue this on in). I don't recognize the last one. It could be one of the two vertical seals in the front wheel well - both to the panels that fit against the outside fender. They would be shorter than the first three.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
***530 goes along the front panel just in front of the radiator. ***531 goes onto the top of the firewall and ***175 sits in the rain gutter below the front windshield (I don't glue this on in). I don't recognize the last one. It could be one of the two vertical seals in the front wheel well - both to the panels that fit against the outside fender. They would be shorter than the first three.
Thanks for the position advice can you comment on the direction the lip faces front or rear?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is only one option for the front. I am not entirely sure on the rear seal. Mine is a different seal that is round. I would think pointing the flap to towards the front so it doesn't interfere with the latches?

Hobbycar

Reaction score
There is only one option for the front. I am not entirely sure on the rear seal. Mine is a different seal that is round. I would think pointing the flap to towards the front so it doesn't interfere with the latches?
I'm replacing all three of mine so have the old ones to guide me. The flanges angle back on the both the one at the radiator and the one at the firewall. There are two short "gaskets" (about 5 inches) that go under the 175 where it turns the corner at either side of the car. I'll try to add photos, but this is my first post so who knows.

Also, the 175 on my car was glued in. Any opinion on whether the replacement20200208_174338410_iOS.jpg20200208_174410947_iOS.jpg20200208_174423888_iOS.jpg should be glued and if so with what adhesive. 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive works a bit like contact cement - one touch and it's done; that'd be hard to control with that long rubber piece.
(I said it was my first try, sorry for the mess.)

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I left the gasket in the rain gutter unglued so I can lift it out to clean underneath. The small lip usually stays attached to the vertical lip of the gutter so it stays in place. It has been trained to do so....