welcome to the bike country. la grand depart LE TOUR

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know you love deportes ;) . How are you feeling about this?

For what it is worth, seeing the Tour race through Bilbao several years ago really cemented my wanting to visit. The route showed off your amazing city in a really spectacular way. Probably a good day to stay home and work on the car though!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know you love deportes ;) . How are you feeling about this?

For what it is worth, seeing the Tour race through Bilbao several years ago really cemented my wanting to visit. The route showed off your amazing city in a really spectacular way. Probably a good day to stay home and work on the car though!

well, sports are a form of leisure, and everyone enjoys life in their way, good for that, i would love to sail or row, i like playing tennis, not that much in cycling; mixed feeings as we have to share the roads with them and some cyclists use the roads as if they were in a competition (invading opposite lanes for example, and not stopping at traffic lights, which i feel it is very incivic and does very little favour to them)

as to the race i am not specially happy with the idea to virtually block such a small country (2.800 sq.miles = 7.300 Km2) the whole weekend; i.e. i will work for home today and tomorrow because of traffic,

thankfully my engine still demands my attention, so i can concentrate on it during this weekend...

p.s. you can see that the publicity of the LE TOUR says nothing about Spain, narrator speaks abut the basque flag, which is very true, it has an overwhelming presence in these events, even in close France roads; then, at the same time, you can see no mention to this Grand Depart in Spanish media, typical spanish everything interesting happens in Madrid or it does not exist. Interested in seeing how this is treated in international media.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ha! By coincidence I just finished watching an introduction video for this year's tour on YouTube. I was surprised to hear that it was starting in Bilbao and I was thinking about you, Jesus. They actually spend the first three or four days only in Spain Which is quite interesting for a tour of France. But it looks like it's going to be a really interesting and challenging race right from day one.

I'm not into cycling very much but for some reason last year I got totally engrossed in the tour, mainly because of the interesting personalities of the two favorites . There is a really good daily 20 or 30 minutes highlights video that gets published on YouTube and I would watch it during breakfast the following morning over here.

Although I've been briefly in San Sebastian, I look forward to watching the riders on the amazing roads of the Basque country and imagining a few of us on them in a Coupe instead

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha! By coincidence I just finished watching an introduction video for this year's tour on YouTube. I was surprised to hear that it was starting in Bilbao and I was thinking about you, Jesus. They actually spend the first three or four days only in Spain Which is quite interesting for a tour of France. But it looks like it's going to be a really interesting and challenging race right from day one.

I'm not into cycling very much but for some reason last year I got totally engrossed in the tour, mainly because of the interesting personalities of the two favorites . There is a really good daily 20 or 30 minutes highlights video that gets published on YouTube and I would watch it during breakfast the following morning over here.

Although I've been briefly in San Sebastian, I look forward to watching the riders on the amazing roads of the Basque country and imagini a few of us on them in a Coupe instead

first day is game of thrones landscape, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe….

1688038755262.png

1688038854220.png

they will pedal this road...i anticipate nice helicopter views

1688038914410.png

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will look forward to watching a few stages of Le Tour this year. I just finished watching a new Netflix series "Tour de France: Unchained" on the 2022 tour, with a program patterned after the F1 drive to survive.

I do enjoy watching the tour, and also the Vuelta a España (August), if the racing isnt interesting enough, the views and videography are often stunning.

bdigel

Reaction score
will Cav Brake the record ? willl Jumbo continue to dominate , will the wolf pack pounce , me I m routing for an Ef Stage win

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
well, sports are a form of leisure, and everyone enjoys life in their way, good for that, i would love to sail or row, i like playing tennis, not that much in cycling; mixed feeings as we have to share the roads with them and some cyclists use the roads as if they were in a competition (invading opposite lanes for example, and not stopping at traffic lights, which i feel it is very incivic and does very little favour to them)

as to the race i am not specially happy with the idea to virtually block such a small country (2.800 sq.miles = 7.300 Km2) the whole weekend; i.e. i will work for home today and tomorrow because of traffic,

thankfully my engine still demands my attention, so i can concentrate on it during this weekend...

p.s. you can see that the publicity of the LE TOUR says nothing about Spain, narrator speaks abut the basque flag, which is very true, it has an overwhelming presence in these events, even in close France roads; then, at the same time, you can see no mention to this Grand Depart in Spanish media, typical spanish everything interesting happens in Madrid or it does not exist. Interested in seeing how this is treated in international media.
I must have been thinking of your feelings for futbol and applied them to all sports. That was not very thoughtful on my part. I understand what you mean about cyclists. I bicycle to work, to run errands, for leisure and exercise - lots of bicycling, and I still get mad at cyclists who don't follow the traffic rules. As you accurately say, "it does very little favour to them." My main problem with it is that it also does very little favor to me and other cyclists who follow the rules. When a driver runs into a bunch of cyclists behaving that way there is a good chance that they decide cyclists as a group are bad.

Hopefully the race won't be too much of an inconvenience. If you ever have a chance to watch a major bike race pass by, you should take it. It's amazing how fast the riders go by you.

There have been many great riders from the Basque region, including Miguel Indurain from Pamplona. Some years back Euskatel-Euskadi sponsored a pretty successful team that competed at the highest level. I remember there were Basque flags all over Europe when they were racing. That's funny about the media coverage. I guess it's true that everything in Spain begins in Madrid.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will look forward to watching a few stages of Le Tour this year. I just finished watching a new Netflix series "Tour de France: Unchained" on the 2022 tour, with a program patterned after the F1 drive to survive.

I do enjoy watching the tour, and also the Vuelta a España (August), if the racing isnt interesting enough, the views and videography are often stunning.
I was going to mention that Netflix series too. I just watched it and thought it was quite good.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I must have been thinking of your feelings for futbol and applied them to all sports. That was not very thoughtful on my part. I understand what you mean about cyclists. I bicycle to work, to run errands, for leisure and exercise - lots of bicycling, and I still get mad at cyclists who don't follow the traffic rules. As you accurately say, "it does very little favour to them." My main problem with it is that it also does very little favor to me and other cyclists who follow the rules. When a driver runs into a bunch of cyclists behaving that way there is a good chance that they decide cyclists as a group are bad.

Hopefully the race won't be too much of an inconvenience. If you ever have a chance to watch a major bike race pass by, you should take it. It's amazing how fast the riders go by you.

There have been many great riders from the Basque region, including Miguel Indurain from Pamplona. Some years back Euskatel-Euskadi sponsored a pretty successful team that competed at the highest level. I remember there were Basque flags all over Europe when they were racing. That's funny about the media coverage. I guess it's true that everything in Spain begins in Madrid.

so you have a very extensive knowledge about many details, i feel overwhelmed

you are right about them passing very fast, i see them in my mountain drives while i am sitting in my coupe waiting for the police to re-open the road again ;-)

regards