WHAT!! $1350 for an alternator/labor????

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Sometimes older cars are cheaper to own than newer ones if you DIY. Today, I ran across a friend with his newer BMW at the dealership complaining how much he paid for a new alternator on his 3 series (out of warranty). I replaced mine $139 plus one hour of labor...his jaw dropped to the floor in shock.
We have the same issues in the Porsche site...the old 911 guys DIY while the new guys pay $750-850 for the two year check that includes oil/filter, air filter, and check all the fluids. If they bleed the brakes...another $350! They don't understand that
there is no difference between doing this on a 997 Porsche vs a VW, GM, or Toyota.
GOD save this next generation....I think they will drown is a glass of water and starve to death since they probably don't even know hot to make a ham and cheese sandwich.
abe

pmansson

Reaction score
Modern car rip-offs

I was at the local Volvo dealer to buy a small 5W lamp (which they didn´t have) and overheard the conversation at the counter between the owner of a 2 year old car which had been serviced and had a new key ordered and programmed etc and the man at the counter.
The owner almost dropped dead when he heard of the USD 300 for the key....
I mentioned that my BMW keys cost about USD 10 plus 5 at the locksmith for drilling the holes......

(and his new Volvo falls in value every month.....)

Paul T

Reaction score
Dealer rip off

My daily driver is a CLK430 and it developed a problem.

Called M-B dealer who quoted diagnostics charge of £140(ish) that's an hours labour rate minimum. Shopped around and got another M-B dealer to do it for £70.

Diagnostic showed that the air mass meter had failed - 'Good news Sir, we have one at another dealers that can be with us this afternoon and I'll do it for £450. I've done you a deal and knocked off the price of the diagnostic check!'.

Longer story short. Bosch genuine part bought over the counter for £75 and fitted with no tools in less than 5 minutes. I did have to wash my hands afterwards though.

So where did £520 come from? Gaining money through deception anyone?

Paul

1972 CSL (work done by me at home or my old school mechanic at £25/hour)