What 14" tires should I get for my 2800CS?

hoju

Reaction score
Hello all,

I thought I'd separate out this question from my other thread looking for advice on my restoration.

I've also searched the forum for this topic, but didn't find the info I was looking for (but if I've missed a thread, please point me in the right direction).

Currently, I've got the stock 14" wheels with 195/70R14 tires on there that have seen better days. They're cracked and leaky. I've decided to stick with the stock wheels for now. But I could really use some help on which tires to get. Mainly:

I've taken a look on Tire Rack, and they have about 10 or 11 tires in that size, but what other sizes, if any, can I also opt for?

Also, I'm in LA, and I'm not sure I need all-seasons. Would summer tires be a better bet?

Thanks very much for any advice or help!

m_thompson

Reaction score
You choices for 14" tires are limited. I bought 215/60R14 BFGoodrich Radial T/A Performance All-Season tires through Tire Rack. These will replace the ancient, but still looking fine, Comp T/A tires of the same size.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is some consensus around two options for a period correct set of performance tires. Michelin XWXs and Vredestein Sprint Classics. 205 - 215 / 70 14s. The Michelins are the absolutely correct answer and have dropped in price to around $400 a corner. Pricey but IMHO maybe the best look on the car, bar none.

Try Lucas Classic Tires in Long Beach.

(562) 595-6721
2850 Temple Ave
Long Beach, CA 90806

Gernstetter

Reaction score
There is some consensus around two options for a period correct set of performance tires. Michelin XWXs and Vredestein Sprint Classics. 205 - 215 / 70 14s. The Michelins are the absolutely correct answer and have dropped in price to around $400 a corner. Pricey but IMHO maybe the best look on the car, bar none.

(562) 595-6721
2850 Temple Ave
Long Beach, CA 90806

Put Fulda tires on mine, look period correct, not cheap but Michelin tires typically lead the pack, unless you are going to drive the piss out of your car, it probably boils down to personal preference and budget?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

(562) 595-6721
2850 Temple Ave
Long Beach, CA 90806

+1 on vredesteins

hoju

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the valuable information, everyone.

If I'm basically staying with a stock suspension setup, can I still go with a wider tire, e.g., 205 or 215?

And what would be the limit on aspect ratio? Could I safely go with 215/60R14 on a stock suspension?

Thanks again!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those will all work with only minor speedometer error, but who's to say the speedometer is correct after all these years anyway.

If I'm basically staying with a stock suspension setup, can I still go with a wider tire, e.g., 205 or 215?

And what would be the limit on aspect ratio? Could I safely go with 215/60R14 on a stock suspension?

Thanks again!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks again!

stock wheels are 6J, thus 195 is the right width, forcing a bit you cN go till 205, but not 215, IMHO

gwittman

Reaction score
I run 215/60R14 tires on my Coupe, with stock wheels, all the time with any problem. I use to run 225 tires in the rear but decided they were too wide and did not allow front to rear rotation. They didn't rub but were very close.

decampos

Reaction score
+1 on vredesteins

Replaced the XWXs with Vredesteins last year and have been happy with them.

vredy.jpg

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Thanks again!

I have Michelin 225 x 60 x 14 on my coupe and although I needed to roll the fender lips, the speedometer is spot-on