tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
An all time favorite...

20201219_103307.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wonder where you buy a can of checkered touch-up paint.......

Some of the Stella car is electrical tape.

Erik Wensberg was in charge of the Art Cars getting from Germany to the exhibit in New York for the November 1986-February 1987 exhibit. When the cars arrived in New York as Stella was being off loaded the air dam was damaged & needed emergency repair. Erik received a panicked call about the air dam & by some stroke of good luck found a body shop on Long Island to make the emergency repairs. In 24 hours they repaired, painted re-taped & returned the air dam to the car. As Erik relates the story, it was all done by the-seat-of-the-pants & by the skin-of-his-teeth. Since then the air dam has been repaired & replicated so there's a spare.

Art Car 1986-87.jpeg
02-bmw-art-car-1976-30-csl-stella-05_1024x768.jpg
Stella C Pillar Detail.png

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, @BMW Pete - I recall you telling me about this car. Definitely a stroke of luck. Absolutely stunning. I was such a fan of the Stella art cars, I went to see him speak in the late 80s at FIU. Of course he mentioned nothing of the cars but it was still super interesting.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think the ///M1 is so great a canvas for art cars. both the Warhol and the Stella together. truly beautiful cars. i would also like to see the Stella + Calder e9's together

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh it was - crazy in so many ways, but the best kinda crazy.
5B385F89-FBD9-49BD-AD34-0CDFE51EFF7C_1_105_c.jpeg

Driving on the lawn that day, what an experience

I also met so many people that week that have now become firm friends. Thank you to everybody who came up and said hello making the day so special, and also to you guys above for these fantastic pictures (one day we will find the picture with the front spoiler - missing above- on the roof of Paul Cain's golf cart and Jennifer riding fireman style holding it :))

I have been reminded, I need to make sure those clips are turned around on the air cleaner:))

Merry Christmas everybody and again thank you for the wonderful memories.

P.S. there are some famous faces from this forum in the pictures above

Last edited: