What am I?

Klassic

Reaction score
Can someone correctly identify which bubble flare kit this is, and any additional background that relates?
Thanks.
Coupe shell.jpg

Klassic

Reaction score
I don't really have anything other being told they are early Alpina by the supplier many years ago. This may well be the case. However, I've not seen them again except for on a German hill climb car, and a couple of other recent builds. Perhaps a privateer period development circa 1971? Did Schnitzer do this design? I believe them to be period correct, and I consider them to look nicely designed. But who out there can confirm the back story?
It would be greatly appreciated if someone could assist.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't really have anything other being told they are early Alpina by the supplier many years ago. This may well be the case. However, I've not seen them again except for on a German hill climb car, and a couple of other recent builds. Perhaps a privateer period development circa 1971? Did Schnitzer do this design? I believe them to be period correct, and I consider them to look nicely designed. But who out there can confirm the back story?
It would be greatly appreciated if someone could assist.

This design is definitely rare…... early Alpina or Schnitzer or a modified design made by privateers based on Schnitzer/ Alpina?
@Yannick @2275xxx or @Gerrit could possibly shed some light….all are very knowledgeable race car active members.

Attachments

• 4B8E41B3-4F7B-48E9-A649-732B2B5E7E63.jpeg
    4B8E41B3-4F7B-48E9-A649-732B2B5E7E63.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: Wes

Klassic

Reaction score
Shawn, that is the same kit as mine. Bought about the same time you got yours from ZAP. At the time I was told it was early Alpina, but I have yet to verify this is accurate, the reason being, I have never seen this kit applied to another Alpina race car in any archive photos. There was a white race car in the UK with this kit supposedly from Germany and campaigned as a hill climb car. I think that this was the one from which a moulding had been taken to reproduce the ones we see on your and my car. The UK car ended up getting a later GP2 type kit fitted during a total rebuild, reason unknown.

Not sure on the "tribute" comment, I would like to think both these cars are a bit more focused to perform. I can see you put considerable development into your car Shawn, excellent stuff.

shanon

Reaction score
Not sure on the "tribute" comment, I would like to think both these cars are a bit more focused to perform. I can see you put considerable development into your car Shawn, excellent stuff.
Yes, brother's car is very 'focused'. ;)

Shawn Essex

Reaction score
Here is how ZAP listed the bubble flares when I bought them.
Also here is a white right hand drive e9 car that appears to have same bubble flares.

Munich Legends had a white e9 with bubble flares but the rear flares are a bit different (more straight than round over the rear wheels)

Attachments

• 20211028_150608.jpg
    20211028_150608.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20211028_150739.jpg
    20211028_150739.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 130
  • 155959.jpg
    155959.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 124

Klassic

Reaction score
The blue and white car I understand is a genuine Alpina, or at least Alpina kitted (given its RHD probably a period build in the UK) , vent recess on front fender, but the rears are more squared off. This is the same kit as both my car and Shawn's car with the recessed vent in the front fender and rounded rear in combination on a real period racer from Germany originally. (Circa 71) Is the kit factory or privateer developed ????? It was claimed to be genuine Alpina... but is it?
1635464913131.png

roundel

Reaction score
Here is how ZAP listed the bubble flares when I bought them.
Also here is a white right hand drive e9 car that appears to have same bubble flares.

Munich Legends had a white e9 with bubble flares but the rear flares are a bit different (more straight than round over the rear wheels)
Maybe I can shed some light....the flares in question were never used in period so far as I know...but seem to be a mixture...the front half of the front flares are close to early Schnitzer, but the rear half is close to `73 factory design with vent recess.....the rears seem to be an attempt to replicate early Schnitzer design but not really correct. The white Munich Legends car has early Alpina arches.

Klassic

Reaction score
This suggests that they are perhaps not as advertised by ZAP? I thought I was buying accurate Alpina replica moldings at the time.
If they really are Alpina replicas, then that's fine. If they are a period privateer development, then that's fine as well. I just wish I knew what I have.

shanon

Reaction score
Adding to the mix, here is a example (aluminum, sourced from UK) of the air dam on the RHD Blue & White car (without the air duct ports).

Attachments

• Copy of early AL airdam.jpg
    Copy of early AL airdam.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 89