What are my wiper blade mounts supposed to look like?

otter74

Reaction score
Yes, it’s an E12, but I suspect this is the same as an E3. My car came with sort of hinky wiper blade mounting. Blades are the typical modern type, designed to fit into wiper arms with a flat end wrapped into a U shape. The arms are…not this. Clearly something was improvised here, but I don’t know how modern blades are supposed to mount, what part is missing, etc. Knowledge is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpeg
    IMG_3895.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 61

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi, David
Here are mine (1972)

IMG_4917.JPG

The arms are argent silver and the driver's side has an airfoil on it to hold it against the glass at speed. The blades are dull stainless and simple and delicate compared to what is on your E12 now. They are a bayonet type mount not the "hook" like you show. My guess is that yours probably should be flat black.

I think @HB Chris has an original E12 and could tell you exactly how they should look.

Last edited:

otter74

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo, Dick. I subsequently learned that prior to 4/79, E12s used arms that used pin-style blades, like this:
From what I can see in your photo, that’s the same style the E3 has. Where did you get blades, Dick?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine are not the pin style. They push on the end of the wiper arm. Mine are 1965 Mustang :oops: The closest I could find to the originals...

s-l1600.png

otter74

Reaction score
Ah, I see. I may drill out the plastic bracket on normal blades and use one of the existing holes to mount to the factory arms, until I get E28 arms.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is March 1979 so it has the pin style mount which changed in April. These were shared with Porsche 928 I believe.

IMG_1282.jpeg
IMG_1283.jpeg

otter74

Reaction score
Interesting - I’m surprised the way mine are mounted is the way they’re supposed to be mounted, even if the blades are wrong. There’s a fair amount of play (that part is probably down to mine having the wrong blades) and I assumed the original way was with the pin in double shear.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
single shear design. I had no idea.
My workhorse E70 diesel wipers mount the same way, single-shear metal pin. However, there is a thin plastic ‘bracket’ that provides a bit more support against twisting. To change them is as easy as raising the arm, rotating the wiper 90 degrees and they slip right off. It has been strong enough to handle Nee Wngland snow and slush for nearly 170kmiles and 12 years without becoming loose and rattly.

It is a weaker design that the “U” but apparently good enough.

John