What can VIN 2285002 tell us about the car?

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
As I mentioned in another post recently, I saw the above VIN car that happens to be a RHD CSL. Are there specific ranges of VINs for specific models, and is it likely this car might be the second rhd csl built?

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
My January 1989 copy of CSL News records this car against the name of one Mr Rusby. That's all I can tell you. Regards, John.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Second car of the 500 City Pack production run I believe. If you also believe the oral history of these cars it's most likely a drive back car as well. I'm sure somebody else will know more but the first few RHD CSL's were picked up by the UK agents from the factory and driven back to the UK. I know of at least one out here.
Curious to know more about this car as the other 'drive back' I know has factory manual front windows, which is a bit unusual for the Pack I believe.

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
Tell us more about where you saw the car?
It’s at a shop in Florida. My understanding is that it was purchased by a race team owner who warehoused it for 15 plus years and its currently being readied for BAT. I’m in an awkward position because a friend is considering purchasing it before the BAT auction (IF the owner has interest in avoiding the good/bad gamble of BAT). If the deal doesn’t go through, I can be more open about it.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s at a shop in Florida. My understanding is that it was purchased by a race team owner who warehoused it for 15 plus years and its currently being readied for BAT.
Thanks. It's iInteresting that a RHD is in the US.

I’m in an awkward position because a friend is considering purchasing it before the BAT auction (IF the owner has interest in avoiding the good/bad gamble of BAT). If the deal doesn’t go through, I can be more open about it.

Of course and rightly so. Fingers crossed for your friend…

roundel

Reaction score
Second car of the 500 City Pack production run I believe. If you also believe the oral history of these cars it's most likely a drive back car as well. I'm sure somebody else will know more but the first few RHD CSL's were picked up by the UK agents from the factory and driven back to the UK. I know of at least one out here.
Curious to know more about this car as the other 'drive back' I know has factory manual front windows, which is a bit unusual for the Pack I believe.
Back in the 1970`s I worked for a BMW dealership and we had 2285001 in our showroom for a few months, it was then sold to Australia I think. Is it still there....from memory it was Ceylon ?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Back in the 1970`s I worked for a BMW dealership and we had 2285001 in our showroom for a few months, it was then sold to Australia I think. Is it still there....from memory it was Ceylon ?

I know a member here has a ceylon CSL shell he's planning to restore. Wonder if that's the one?

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know a member here has a ceylon CSL shell he's planning to restore. Wonder if that's the one?
And I know of one that is Ceylon, completely apart and sitting for about 10 years. I don’t know if the VIN. I think he may eventually put it on BAT unrestored.

roundel

Reaction score
I left the BMW dealership in 1982 so it must have been there before then....good to know I remembered the colour correctly after 40 years....

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score

Here is a photo of it. It's still in Sydney.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.50.18 am.png

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
Update on the car that originated this thread. The owner isn’t interested in selling before the BAT auction. I’ll give people a heads up when it’s supposed to be put online if (as he promised) my mechanic lets me know. Should be interesting.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update on the car that originated this thread. The owner isn’t interested in selling before the BAT auction. I’ll give people a heads up when it’s supposed to be put online if (as he promised) my mechanic lets me know. Should be interesting.
Could take six weeks to appear, unless he pays for premium. Very curious to see where the market for a RHD car is in the USA.