What do you think? 1972 Bavaria

5 cents

Reaction score
Found this on Craigslist. The car is outside of Denver (Lafayette, CO). I'm in Sacramento, CA. I was very interested until I got some additional pics of rust in rear wheel wells and near back bumper.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3871429537.html

1. I know you can't tell much from a picture, but...what do you think about the rust and possible repair? Owner says car is otherwise rust-free?

2. Anyone in the Denver area want to look at it and report?

I can get a pre-purchase inspection from a reputable shop in Lafayette, but I'd hate to plunk down the $265 just to be told what could be obvious.

The car is an old restoration, but looks decent. Any help (even if just gut reactions) is appreciated. Owner seems like a straight-shooter, but this rust seems a little ominous. Thank you. Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 182

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bavarias are a great deal. I'd only buy a rust free one. It will be the one that holds it's value and is easy to sell down the road .That one could look a lot worse in 5 years and they are not cost effective to do a proper body restoration on.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The rust is in the usual spots. Need to pick up the rugs and look at the floors, trunk around the gas tank (sponge gasket holds water, tank may rust enough to hold gas but allow fumes out), shock towers, all wheel wells, bottom of doors. These cars are much like the E24 where they rust.

For an E3 is it a bit costly with that rust but given its upgrades, 4500 would be fair. Adjust as you discover more rust. Frankly, these cars are getting more rare and are fun to drive.

windnsea

Reaction score
Most Interesting!

If it was updated with a 3.5L engine, then they had to pull the head off the 3.5 to install the cam from an earlier engine, as I can see in the pic of the engine compartment that there is a distributor on the front of the engine!. 3.5's came with motronic!

Also, If I was going to brag about a paint job, then the rust would be a major worry as where else is it? Almost all E3's have some rust along the bottom of each door and the front ends of the hood due to water pooling! This one probably has it also, but under that wonderful paint job!

e3er

Reaction score
That could be some pretty decent rocker rust in pic no.4.

No one can say unless it's seen in person by someone who knows what to look for. If I lived in CA, I'd wait for something truly local and dry to turn up. They are out there...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Most Interesting!

If it was updated with a 3.5L engine, then they had to pull the head off the 3.5 to install the cam from an earlier engine, as I can see in the pic of the engine compartment that there is a distributor on the front of the engine!. 3.5's came with motronic!

You can buy a cam adapter nut to run a distributor on a later engine. I have a stock cammed '88 3.5l with carbs and a distributor in my Bav. It runs beautifully.

aalto

Reaction score
Mike's right. No need to remove the head. Just the front timing cover. On mine I didn't even need to buy the special nut. Just took the nut off the dead 3.0l engine (the head was a replacement dated 1979) and screwed it onto the 3.5l. Easy!