"What, Exactly, Is A BMW 3.0CSL?" Article on Hagerty Online

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
In this month's BMW CCA Roundel magazine, I wrote a column in which I described seeing a beat-up 3.0CSL "city package" car at The Vintage and not immediately recognizing it for what it was because it was missing its stripes and chrome fender arches. Owing to the lead time in print, about two months elapsed between my writing it and it being published. During that time, I thought about how many people think that only the street Batmobiles or only the race cars are "real CSLs" and don't understand that BMW built over a thousand street CSLs that don't have the eye-catching Batmobile aerodynamics. So I wrote an online piece for Hagerty that's intended to be something of a novice guide to CSL spotting. There's far less of a lead time with online stuff than there is with print, so the two pieces were published within about a week of each other. Thanks so much to Peter Gleeson for proofing it and fact-checking it for me at the last moment. I didn't yet have the photos together, though; I hope I captioned them correctly.