What grade of Fuel you using in the E9 , in the UK

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all

I went to the Bicestor scramble event last Sunday ,vintage , classic and modern car event

Spoke to owners of classic cars
who had cars made in 1970/1977

some owners where using ie

Unleaded 95 only
Some using unleaded 95 by adding fuel additive ie , classic valve master fuel additive, Lucas fuel additive etc
Some owners where using ie
Super unleaded 98 only
And
Shell V-power 99 only
with out adding any fuel additive

just trying to find out what fuel grade or additive are the UK E9 owners using ??

Thxs

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all

I went to the Bicestor scramble event last Sunday ,vintage , classic and modern car event

Unleaded 95 only
Some using unleaded 95 by adding fuel additive ie , classic valve master fuel additive, Lucas fuel additive etc
Super unleaded 98 only
And
Shell V-power 99 only

just trying to find out what fuel grade or additive are the UK E9 owners using ??

Thxs

I’ve only ever used Unleaded 98, no additives in mine.

I would be interested to hear what others are using too.

MarcH

Reaction score
Hi all

Unleaded 95 only
Super unleaded 98 only
And
Shell V-power 99 only

Thxs
Hi There - using the Shell V Power without additive and it works well

Simufly

Reaction score
There is alot of discussion on various siteS concerning UK petrol standard. Sadly, for environmental reasons, TEL Is almost extinct in UK petrol. I do not know if leaded 4 star is still available, there was a garage near to me that sold it but that was when I had the Si. After I sold it I had hardened valve seats fitted to the CSI so the problem of valve recession was removed.
However the amount of ethanol in each blend is probably what concerns UK drivers most. The latest info that I have managed to find is that Esso supreme has none. Shell v power has up to 5% as allowed in the UK market although I suspect the regime may change soon. Most other premiums have up to 5%.
It depends too on which refinery your petrol comes from they are not all the same, however there is a minimum standard which all petrol must meet. The benefit of using branded premium fuel over supermarket is the additives that are included. Remember Quentin Wilson advertising Shell V power when it first appeared? Good science behind the advertising hype.
ATM each pump should state the maximum ethanol allowed 5% for premium and 10% for lower grade, what you actually get is a bit of a lottery, but it will meet the minimum standard.
FWIW I used shell V power, and still do in my baby Audi, the other cars I use Costco 99 RON with an occasional fuel system cleaner.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is alot of discussion on various siteS concerning UK petrol standard. Sadly, for environmental reasons, TEL Is almost extinct in UK petrol. I do not know if leaded 4 star is still available, there was a garage near to me that sold it but that was when I had the Si. After I sold it I had hardened valve seats fitted to the CSI so the problem of valve recession was removed.
However the amount of ethanol in each blend is probably what concerns UK drivers most. The latest info that I have managed to find is that Esso supreme has none. Shell v power has up to 5% as allowed in the UK market although I suspect the regime may change soon. Most other premiums have up to 5%.
It depends too on which refinery your petrol comes from they are not all the same, however there is a minimum standard which all petrol must meet. The benefit of using branded premium fuel over supermarket is the additives that are included. Remember Quentin Wilson advertising Shell V power when it first appeared? Good science behind the advertising hype.
ATM each pump should state the maximum ethanol allowed 5% for premium and 10% for lower grade, what you actually get is a bit of a lottery, but it will meet the minimum standard.
FWIW I used shell V power, and still do in my baby Audi, the other cars I use Costco 99 RON with an occasional fuel system cleaner.
Simon, are you saying you had hardened valve seats fitted to NEW?

I ask because I was under the impression if wasn’t necessary with the E9 engines.

PS great info on the fuel. I’ve been using Shell V power too.

Simufly

Reaction score
Well the m30 engine does have an alloy head so by definition they will have hardened seats. However, when TEL was removed from UK petrol there was a lot of discussion as to how ‘hard” the original seats were. When the head was removed to be ported and flowed it seemed sensible to change the seats at the same time. Possibly overkill but why risk having to do the job again?

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well the m30 engine does have an alloy head so by definition they will have hardened seats. However, when TEL was removed from UK petrol there was a lot of discussion as to how ‘hard” the original seats were. When the head was removed to be ported and flowed it seemed sensible to change the seats at the same time. Possibly overkill but why risk having to do the job again?
Thanks Simon. As you say why risk it…and I benefited in the end :)