What is a "Derby"?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...but the ad says..."The color is Pazific, paint code 039. This color was only imported to the states as a special order for years 66-68."

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The mixed description of colors is odd. But this is a real find if Derby is the original color. If I weren't under explicit instructions from the boss not to buy another project car, I'd be keenly interested.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very surprised this is still available, looks like a decent one online..been for sale for a few weeks nown. Sadly my wife said no to even looking at another project at this time.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Most likely repainted in Derby, this 1600 needs everything.
I agree. Blue interior and blue in the trunk and under the hood.

I'm allergic to rust. :( The rust showing in the right rear quarter at the belt molding and at the right front rocker and door front is a little scary :oops:. Nothing for Stephen but I don't have his skills or patience.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree. Blue interior and blue in the trunk and under the hood.

I'm allergic to rust. :( The rust showing in the right rear quarter at the belt molding and at the right front rocker and door front is a little scary :oops:. Nothing for Stephen but I don't have his skills or patience.
Thanks for the confidence. But it does add up. A non-derby is a non-starter (even if I had permission).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take a zero off the price please.

You guys are harsh. I see a few specs of verifiable surface rust under the hood and in the tire well. Other than that there is no visible structural rust on the car, and a lot of failed paint. What is visible is a CA blue plate, which is a leading indicator of the type and magnitude of rust present. The whole underside could be toast, or wonderful. You can’t write this off without looking at it in person. $5K is a fair price for a good 1600
base IMO. Yes it needs an interior, but show us some examples where you guys aren’t swapping out or recovering most of your interiors. The bummer with this car IMO is the cracked dashboard.

@Dick Steinkamp - I think it would be helpful to repost what e3 you started with a very short time ago and what you have now. You should look at it if you are interested (assuming the paint code checks out). One thing to note is that there are many 1600 specific parts on this car. @bimbill knows 1600’s well and is local.

Writing off a cheap craigslist car as rusty is just a safer version of buying an expensive rusty car sight unseen on BaT. Lost opportunity is far less ridiculed but it is still the result of poor due diligence.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Markos,

I emailed him through the CraigsList system yesterday with questions. No response yet. No phone number contact in the listing or I would have called him. One problem with the CraigsList email system is that responses often go to the seller's unchecked spam folder. Hopefully that didn't happen this time and the seller is just too busy right now to respond.

I am on the hunt for another project. It's starting to feel like "Groundhog's Day" to me now without a car to work on and car projects to solve. :(

To me, it does look like rust perforations at the belt line trim on the right quarter/deck lid, and rot at the front of the right rocker and door. If that is the case, I would suspect much more. I do not do rusty cars. I don't have good enough welding skills, you never get it all, and you end up with a patched car. I am too spoiled here on the West Coast with too many rust free or nearly rust free cars to choose from to take on a rusty one. Rusty (too a point) works for a car with the value of an E9...especially if the restorer has good MIG skills and experience.

It is a relatively short drive for me (2 hours) and worth checking out if the seller responds.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The early 1600s are nice cars, very nimble if you keep the tires to 165-13 as original. Almost unobtanium are the early wide no headrest seats and the three piece dash. Too bad the picture quality is so poor but if it has been sitting since 1984 and looking at visible rust there is more underneath.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos,
To me, it does look like rust perforations at the belt line trim on the right quarter/deck lid, and rot at the front of the right rocker and door. If that is the case, I would suspect much more. I do not do rusty cars.

I saw that also, and can't conclude what it is due to the crappy pics. I know from personal experience that PNW cars like to grow moss on these areas. In that case moisture is retained so it is possible that the area is rusting. It could also be gunk. The area isn't consistent with the rest of the belt trim, and the trunk is easily and inexpensively replaced. But if it is rust, it's and indication that the car was sitting outside. I do see what looks like bubbling where the passenger door meets the front fender.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Derby is a euro term for a small 2 door sedan.
I know VW, Opel, Austin, Peugeot and others use the term
Great info! The ad makes a lot more sense now. Here's a 1977 Derby...

DB2007AU00367_overfull.jpg

I have emailed the seller a second time this evening. Hopefully I'll at least get to talk to him.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos,

I emailed him through the CraigsList system yesterday with questions. No response yet. No phone number contact in the listing or I would have called him. One problem with the CraigsList email system is that responses often go to the seller's unchecked spam folder. Hopefully that didn't happen this time and the seller is just too busy right now to respond.

I am on the hunt for another project. It's starting to feel like "Groundhog's Day" to me now without a car to work on and car projects to solve. :(

To me, it does look like rust perforations at the belt line trim on the right quarter/deck lid, and rot at the front of the right rocker and door. If that is the case, I would suspect much more. I do not do rusty cars. I don't have good enough welding skills, you never get it all, and you end up with a patched car. I am too spoiled here on the West Coast with too many rust free or nearly rust free cars to choose from to take on a rusty one. Rusty (too a point) works for a car with the value of an E9...especially if the restorer has good MIG skills and experience.

It is a relatively short drive for me (2 hours) and worth checking out if the seller responds.
Well Dick, it appears you have overlooked that '55 Desoto 2 door, for sale down in Arlington. Way closer. Seller states "good bones" ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I knew I could count on you Mike.

"Very decent body for it's age" o_O

If you are going to get a Desoto, get the 35. Better ground clearance!

D20623EC-6916-4C08-8A6A-BEEF47B50446.jpeg

2C73F69C-287E-4F3B-8142-AAD297B641ED.jpeg