what is this relay?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried asking on FB first. I have the damnedest time trying to look at wiring diagrams. This is on my automatic 72 bav. mounted on the brake master bracket.
I'm swapping to manual and trying to clean up the area where the clutch master goes.

Attachments

• 1001201433.jpg
    1001201433.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 147

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
No idea the formal designation but related to the automatic transmission and starter.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried asking on FB first. I have the damnedest time trying to look at wiring diagrams. This is on my automatic 72 bav. mounted on the brake master bracket.
I'm swapping to manual and trying to clean up the area where the clutch master goes.
I think it can be removed. I followed instructions on this forum. See if I can find it again.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The relay on the booster as far as I know is for the carb chokes, they have green or green/white wires (with switched power) and I see the blue sleeve which is used on emission wiring as well.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had one that looked similar to this (similar location, too) - in an original manual / carb coupe rather than sedan. I don't know for sure, but thought it had something to do with the carbs. Green and green/white wires as Chris notes.
20200621-relay.jpg

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mine was attached to the booster in the engine bay. Don't confuse it with the choke relay (also in that general vicinity).

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good to know. Any chance you have a pic for future reference, this question gets asked quite a bit.
I just checked- I was mistaken. Sorry about that. I was going by memory which I shouldn't have done. Heck, it was only a few months ago.
The connectors that I rearranged sit on the booster bracket but the relay was inside under the dash. That one pictured, at least the picture posted by Stephen, is the choke relay (I think!).

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
AUTOKUNS
I had one that looked similar to this (similar location, too) - in an original manual / carb coupe rather than sedan. I don't know for sure, but thought it had something to do with the carbs. Green and green/white wires as Chris notes.
View attachment 103209
I have the same relay (aluminium rectangular), mounted on the brake booster. Its wires go directly into the carbs
But also there is a second relay, same size&shape, just 3 inches towards the firewall. The one near the firewall does have the wire colors as indicayed by (red and thick black) and they go directly into the firewall).
My car is carbed and automatic, may 73 eu version.
Erik.

Last edited: