What to do while windshields are out / headliner question.

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
:) A day late and a dollar short ;-) bGlass went in yesterday. And man, what a pain in the butt that was! I was able to get the rear in with just my wife's help, but the front required a neighbor and some ratchet straps.

I really appreciate all the advice here though. It’s great to have such a community to bounce ideas off of and learn from!

On the subject of clips, I ended up going with a glue only approach as I had some water leakage on the old seal (more likely caused buy an ill-seated locking strip than anything else, but didn't want to risk it). I then trimmed any excess headliner that reached beyond 3/8" or so to provide smooth metal for the seal to seat against. Time will tell how she does, though it's not like the car will ever see rain again (at least not intentionally!).

I did take the time to clean up the front dash and fix some partially blocked defrost vents. Next will be getting the interior sorted after I get back from deployment.

IMG_1424.jpg

Last edited:

BMW3.0CSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
At least im not missing these clips in my e9 then....
Do i then say I was wrong in being wrong?

I removed my rear screen 3 weeks ago and had no clips, I also did this in the past with my CSi and also that one didn't had the clips. Only glue was used for the vinyl. Also no vinyl wrapping as you can see the small metal part in the lower right corner, just near the seal. I didn't take a close up picture of it, but there were no clips at this screen. And while the car has several kinds of color, the rear screen was taken out for the first time ;).

1590263538881.png

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
What build year is your car, bmw 3.0 csi? Mine is from may 73. I am starting to think that, as for the e10's the clips and the vinyl wrapped around the flange did change over time. Just trying to pin point a potential change over moment.

Or was it a Heinz or Hans on the production line doing this on a Monday, and that on a tuesday?

BMW3.0CSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
What build year is your car, bmw 3.0 csi? Mine is from may 73. I am starting to think that, as for the e10's the clips and the vinyl wrapped around the flange did change over time. Just trying to pin point a potential change over moment.

Or was it a Heinz or Hans on the production line doing this on a Monday, and that on a tuesday?

The 2800 is from 1970, the CSi from 1973. I don’t know the exact month to be honest. Never checked it and didn’t get that info whenI bought the cars.