What we restore when our coups are....

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When our coups are either "down" or "done" what do we tinker with?

For me it's anything old and cool that I can make work or make work better-(or try to without blowing up the house) Check out this 1929 electric ice cream maker, had to clean the old grease out to get her running- it was like tar..I had a window motor just like it; made a gallon of strawberry the other night. It actually tastes like ice cream!

Attachments

• machine8.jpg
    machine8.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 175
  • machine3.jpg
    machine3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 153
  • machine2.jpg
    machine2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 149
  • machine1.jpg
    machine1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 144
  • machine9.jpg
    machine9.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 150

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is my never ending project

I'm in year 2 of trying to get the motor rebuilt properly.
Knowing what I know now, maybe I should have gone to Mario!

Body scheduled to come off next year, but at least I know I can trust my local panel beater.

Attachments

• front_quarter_small.jpg
    front_quarter_small.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 181

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is my next project with our son Collin, he was the one who convinced me that we needed it! A 50s vintage gas pump, I grew up with Richfield stations here in SoCal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 168

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow, seriously!!!......but, can it make ice cream? :)

that is unreal beautiful. The world would be a better place if they made more cars like that.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like anything vintage electronic, have had various McIntosh tube hifi for the last 30 years, this set up for a while: early 60's tuner/preamp, matching rare oscilliscope to show radio signal strength and stereo separation, equalizer (not shown) and amps all in walnut cabinets. Bottom amps (there's an identical one out of sight behind the front one) are a pair of late 50's mono block 30 watt McIntosh amps I am currently working on. The sound of tube hifi is warm and full. Also love vintage guitars and amps but have sold most of that stuff.

IMG-20130625-00553.jpg

IMG-20130625-00552.jpg

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree with Peter, an old gas pump would be a nice addition to anyone's garage.

I tinker with old gas powered model race cars. Not to restore them to as-new condition but to get the right vintage
parts back on them. I like to keep their as-raced weathered/aged apprearance.

A lot of them came out of So-Cal, this Peerless was made in Cleveland, Ohio.

IMG_9738_zpsb2836779.jpg

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, not when my coupe is down, but currently restoring this E9 with my 5 year old daughter. A friend found it at Hershey swap meet last year and just knew we would love this being Dad and Daughters first restoration. As you can see she is pretty smitten. Its a good old fashioned pedal car and has seen some serious fun in its life, both bumpers are worn through at the bottom, wheels have some serious wear.

Would love any info on it if anybody has any, especially who made it, no name on anything I'm afraid?

Thanks

Peter

P.S Apologies if its in the wrong thread

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like The Hack Mechanic says- fixing BMW's DOES make you whole. I don't think there is a better way to raise our kids than to surround them with things of beauty. Your little one does eclipse any of our cars though. BTW looks like negative camber plates were installed by the PO.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, not when my coupe is down, but currently restoring this E9 with my 5 year old daughter. A friend found it at Hershey swap meet last year and just knew we would love this being Dad and Daughters first restoration. As you can see she is pretty smitten. Its a good old fashioned pedal car and has seen some serious fun in its life, both bumpers are worn through at the bottom, wheels have some serious wear.

Would love any info on it if anybody has any, especially who made it, no name on anything I'm afraid?

Thanks

Peter

P.S Apologies if its in the wrong thread

Heart warming. Lucky Dad.

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's Really Nice

BMW Pete,

Even as young as is she, your daughter shows great taste in cars.

Should be a fun project for the both of you, making the car her's.
Hopefully getting rid of the whitewalls and fabing some Alpina wheel covers
in the process.

Many years from now, when she's sitting in your E9 for her first drive
(hopefully) she'll fondly recall that her 1st E9 was....

duane_sword

Reaction score
"What to restore when our coupes are?...." I thought about this one, and frankly the only honest answer is "my health and fitness". After losing my mother to colon cancer done years back that was a recalibration for me and my lifestyle choices, and my wife does an amazing job to ensure our family eats healthy and variety.... It is a lot of work (and money) to eat healthy...

Take care of yourself ; allows you to enjoy the fruits of life, and more miles in your coupe for many years to come.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was restoring a WW2 Bomber (Lancaster FM104) on a weekly basis for the last 9 years, till our Museum got evicted from the building.

Currently it is in boxes and pallets being stored in a hangar provided by Air Canada. I was mostly working on the Merlin V-12 's prop reduction drive, coolant pump, supercharger, the fire interrupter on the mid upper turret, and other sundry tasks.

The Lanc is yet another incomplete project. I better take Duane's wise words seriously if ever I hope to see this plane again.
Other stuff I have done to keep busy besides a few cars....

This standard Modern Lathe I hope to get back together one of these days. I do not know how to safely operate it, but it was built in Toronto like the Lanc and is representative of a bygone era.

Something I finished ...this Sunbeam lawnmower. A neighbour who worked in a junk yard gave it to me twenty years ago. It was the 3rd discarded mower he gave us. When one of the belts went, I changed it, when the bushing seized I changed it, then bought some new blades. It was made in Ontario, has cast aluminum deck, twin blade cogged gear drive, so I thought....time to give it a second life... and Hot Rod it a bit with clear lexan drive cover. I found a used engine at a junk shop that looked to be in great shape.

Anyway, when all put back together, it cut the lawn once or twice before the motor had a terminal meltdown. Since then, being obsessive, I found another Sunbeam twin blade, and it works well, but actually sucks as a lawn mower. Stuck with it now. The fancy looking one is under the porch. The new one has original Patina. I am sure you are lusting after a photo of that!!

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
WW11 Lancaster

Thank you, for the very kind comments about my little car girl - Megan Violet. She really is more of a car girl than her older brothers and that is saying something.

Wish Nicad was local, that WW 11 lancaster project looks like a lot of fun and you sure know how to get things looking great again- sorry to hear about the building. It would be impossible to think how many engineers ( being in Seattle) would have loved to have helped with that one.

Best of luck with finding a new building in or around Toronto, I know your city well and the sprawling metropolis is not an inexpensive place for space.

Pete

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The deck lounger was my winter project.
Disassembled, sanded, oiled x4 with tung oil, polish the brass and re-assemble.
Not too hard, just time consuming