What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
guys, the new lenses should be at my house in the next day or so. i will test fit them, take pictures and report back.

i am very interested in these to solve the same problems that most of you have.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interested List: 30 sets so far

RSPorsche red and amber Whole sets
Gary Knox red and amber 1 set + amber lenses
Gary Beck red
Paul 02 amber
Teahead red
Dirk?
BlueBomb
DMG360
RMP
Peter Coomaraswamy
Gransin amber
SkiCoach amber
Mark99 amber
Mulberryworks amber
loloe13 amber and red 1 full set + red lenses
Elrey amber
MPowerE9amber
Sportster (two full sets) amber
BMachine amber
Coupe King amber
Barry G (three full sets) amber
Eludvigs red
Sven amber
61Porsche
Glenn in Encinitas red
aeronotix amber
AW21 amber
30csl amber
luis 2 sets amber
Diesel1 two amber Whole sets
altma amber

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sign me up for a pair of amber lenses as well please.

I don't really need them now but this looks like one of those "Get in now as this may be a limited time opportunity" kind of a deal...

Thank you.

Bo

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
RSPorsche red
Gary Knox red
Gary Beck amber?
Paul 02?
Teahead
Dirk?
BlueBomb
DMG360
RMP
Peter Coomaraswamy
Gransin amber
SkiCoach amber
Mark99 amber
Mulberryworks amber
loloe13 amber
Elrey
Coupe King amber
MPowerE9amber
Sportster (two sets) amber
BMachine amber
Coupe King amber
Barry G amber

Stan, would like RED.
Gary Beck M5BB

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Updated

Count is now at 25 sets
Most have selected turn signal indicator color
RSPorsche will post pictures of fitted lenses tomorrow.
Coupe King is interested so I will send him a set to fit into frames and get his feedback too. The last thing I want is to order 25 sets and have 25 unhappy (former?) E9 friends :(

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan - One set for me please. Amber turn lens.

Thanks

Paul02

Reaction score
Stan last minute decision I am in please for a set left and right with Amber . Will probably have mine posted to Peter in London as I think he is ordering 2 sets . Peter is Sportster on here .
Thanks Paul

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
The last thing I want is to order 25 sets and have 25 unhappy (former?) E9 friends :(

Stan, I think most if not all of us know that with classic cars like these, small variations in sizes of parts (frames in this case) is a possibilty. Even if you testfit the lenses in many different frames, there is still a small risk.

If it turns out that the lenses fit in all the empty frames that you, Scott and Coupeking have on hand, I'd say that you have done the best you can, and that nobody should be able to put any blame on you if they don't fit.

Just my $0.02

Cheers,

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
guys -

i am going to spend more time with them tonight. the first comment is - they look GREAT. the second comment is that in the first test fit - they fit into the frames easily. since these new lenses will have to be adhesive applied into the frames, there must me a little room for the glue to be placed ... and there is.

in pic 1286 - the lower unit is a very good used unit that has some minor surface scratches on the lenses from sitting on shelves - the one next to it is mediocre frame (needs to be rechromed) with the brand new lenses sitting in it. the red color is rich

in pic 1289 - this is the same lower unit with an excellent right frame with the lenses sitting in it. looks even better than the NOS unit.

if you look at 1289, you will see a slight gap between the lens + frame. this will require perfect placement to avoid the gap being distracting. i say this because i'm being picky and offering full disclosure. i am confident that this can be properly placed and will look great. further disclosure, Stan isn't getting these back as i am buying them.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
more pictures -
1291 - here is the turn signal opposite the brake lens ... looks perfect - this is what most of us need (i haven't seen the amber in this round, as i'm putting all red in my '71 black car as it looks great). the previous amber looked very good.

now for the discussion of another test fitting.
if you look at 1287 / 1294 - the drivers side reverse light seems to line up well with the brake light lens. in 1290 / 1295 ... i'm not so sure. i need to check with Stan to make sure that i don't have two of the same side. this is a really picky point that you won't notice while on the car unless you are less than 18" away. the important thing to note is that i need to look at this closer. it might just be the way it was laying there.

again, i am very impressed overall. i need to get some of this glue and actually install a set ... but my initial impression is that its been worth the wait and all of Stan's hard work in getting this done is going to help a lot of us out and make our cars look better. would i rather have a perfect NOS set and not have to deal with any chrome work or replacing the lenses - in a heartbeat yes. would i want to spend the money to get them (if you could find them) - NO.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 219

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks much better.
The first (you sent me after you tried them) were too big by close to 1mm (brake lens, outside vertical edge). I sent that 'tight' frame to Stan so he could test this new batcH. If these fit that 'tight' frame I, I'll be more confident that the lenses will fit the variation across frames in general.

I am not particularly excited about that gap, but it's better than having to hand file to make them fit because they are too big.

John

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks much better.
The first (you sent me after you tried them) were too big by close to 1mm (brake lens, outside vertical edge). I sent that 'tight' frame to Stan so he could test this new batcH. If these fit that 'tight' frame I, I'll be more confident that the lenses will fit the variation across frames in general.

I am not particularly excited about that gap, but it's better than having to hand file to make them fit because they are too big.

John
you might want to get with Stan quickly before he ships them to Coupeking or somebody else that wants to buy several sets.

i will look at these again tonight and verify if there really is a gap ... and how much there is. honestly i was more worried about the right backup light lens than the gap. i think the gap is purely about positioning ... but i will know more tonight.

the frames i tested were made at different times - one was a 2800cs and the other was a later 3.0cs