What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
A word of warning concerning ads in Hemmings, or anywhere really. Do your research and check their work and reputation.

Many years ago I was restoring my '54 Beetle and chose a company based on their large Hemmings ad. Virtually all my parts were ruined. Each had the job number engraved on the back and while the chrome was shiny, it was so thick that the lock cylinders wouldn't fit in the handles and the tabs on the tail light chrome rings were now so encrusted with chrome that they broke when trying to bend them into place.
I guess they subscribed to the perfectly smooth at all costs school of chroming. The engraved job number was the coup de grâce. I've never been so disappointed in my life.

Ian

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
If these are still available - I'd be interested in a full set, 2 clear, 2 red, and two amber turn signals.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
27536be20ba3679e4b2be96e7e6bb7fe.jpg

I understand from talking to Carl at La Jolla independent that there is someone that can replace the actual broken lenses rather than the entire tail light. As you can see from the image, only one of my lenses is partially cracked. He gave me the name of Stan Chamallas following information and I am going to try to track this down but wondering if anyone else has any information on this option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, you are in the right place as Stan is on the forum and monitors this thread. you will have to be patient because there is a list of people already waiting. the light you took a picture of is the drivers side that has the exhaust pipe right under it which is the reason this side gets messed up. please be advised that Stan just supplies the lenses for a cost and ships you the lenses ... you have to remove the other lens and glue the new one in.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Latest update. Allegedly, lenses being shipped this week. I hope he sends what we need. Last time he sent 10 pair of brake lights. No back up lights or turn signals. So they sit on the shelf waiting for the other bits to make complete sets...

Reaction score
Stan

I would like one pair of lenses ,red white and Amber. Can you arrange for them to shipped to an address in Australia.?What is the status on delivery?
Carol

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan

I would like one pair of lenses ,red white and Amber. Can you arrange for them to shipped to an address in Australia.?What is the status on delivery?
Carol
Hi Carol,
The production is agonizingly slow.
I have been awaiting shipment of another supply for months. These are hand made.
Anyway, I will put you on the list.
Stan

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, these lenses have proven to be more challenging to make than he thought.
He notified me that the next batch will cost more. When I get an exact number I will tell you.