What Would You Pay For an Original Set of New E9 Tailights?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bert, i agree with Markos, some of the rarer pieces might be low ... but a lot of the other pieces are a bit high. surely you can pay the prices you have mentioned if you are in a hurry and buying from a profiteer, but if you are patient and look you can find much more normal prices
for instance
- a full set of wood in NOS condition - i would say you should be in the 1500 to 2000 range as it costs 1200 +/- for Bela's work plus the cores + shipping
- L+R headlight grilles ... i think 800 is stretching it (maybe for a brand new set w/ no issues - maybe). 500 to 600 for a really nice set ... an average set is 150 to 250.
- chrome wipers in great shape - 450 (full set) - satin (350 - full set). you can buy the wiper blades for 100 bucks
- interior door handle set - $300 ... you're kidding. you can buy a really nice set all day long for less than 100 bucks - they were on e9, e3 and early e24
- chrome hood + fender grilles - the current price for new hood grilles from w+n is 300 / pair and sides are NLA. i think i paid 400 for a full set last year with all of the mounting hardware
- front grille - i think 300 for a 5 slat is about right.
- door card set - very nice ones can be found for 400
- already mentioned tail lights ... 1500 to 1800

Wladek

Reaction score
"For sale" and "sold" are very different ideas. :D
Yep, if someone want to sell for years - 300% of average market price will be enough.

I wrote that before in other thread - last piece of right tail light at W&N was sold for ca. 125 EUR + shipping. YES, YOU READ RIGHT - LAST ONE WAS WITH DISCOUNT OF 90%.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i tried to buy it for that and W+N sent me an email that there was a mistake in the system and they wouldn't sell it to me. that was 109 euro without VAT if i remember correctly. i may still have the email i will check. i know both stevehose and i tried to get it.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not saying everyone is willing to pay this premium, but there are people who value pristine/perfect NOS trim parts and will not settle for parts that are reconditioned piecemeal that may not be up to their standards. Also, these certain individuals are willing to buy them even at top prices to finish off their restorations or fitment to their prized coupes. When they were still available a few years back, BMW was asking about $1200. Even with certain discounts, they were still in the plus thousand range. So it is doubtful these highly sought after NOS lens/frames will go down in value instead of climbing as the market dictates.

The coupeking NOS unit is going for the BIN price of $1500 now. He may not be able to sell it at that price, but then again may sell eventually to the right buyer. Other than the French market, this taillight lens is not much in demand for the other world markets, hence the lack of interest I presume.

$2500 was my initial low estimate and with everything stated, don’t think is is an out of line or outrageous asking price.
Just to be clear, and consistent with the OP's question, you estimate you would be willing to pay that for an NOS pair of tailights?
Or are you just plumping (at least partially) because you are sitting on a set for a rainy day?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to be clear, and consistent with the OP's question, you estimate you would be willing to pay that for an NOS pair of tailights?
Or are you just plumping (at least partially) because you are sitting on a set for a rainy day?

Yes and no! The OP ask a simple question and I gave a simple cost estimate. Must have not seen my ‘not for sale’ tag. Don’t have a vested interest in how much they will eventually sell for. Someone may get it at a bargain basement price or it may sell at a price to make some gag.

Reactions: dp

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Bert/Markos, it is really useful to see this guide to the prices of some key rare parts.

Are non staggered Alpina’s a different price btw?

I am not sure if my own Alpina 16”s are staggered or not.....I have 225/50 tyres on back and 205/55 on front so maybe I have staggered Alpinas? (I know rookie question but the wheels were on when I bought my car).

Many thanks

Price wise, not appreciably. Most sets bought new back in the day came as
A staggered set (plus 2 concept- 2” over oe 14” rims). Believe they can also be bought as a square set either 7” or 8”. An 8” square set a s not ideal as you will have bad rubbing issues (fender lips) up front. The rear is no problem as there is a lot of room. A 7” square setup will undoubtedly work, but most will stick with the classic 16” staggered setup.

Your stated tire sizes are indication of a staggered set. The raised markings on the black center hub area on the rim should tell you what you have: Fronts- 7Jx16 et-11 and rears- 8Jx16 et-24. There should not be any deviations from those numbers.

F40342A2-D70B-4112-9B21-79AC7872988F.jpeg CDCF8E1D-BA19-4ADE-88FC-7A190E0644EE.jpeg