What's different about a Swedish engine?

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Hi all!

Updating the results of my plea for engine replacement help earlier this week. First I want to thank everyone who provided advice and help, especially HB Chris who offered me an amazingly generous deal on his extra engine. Thank you all!

While I did not hit the Powerball lottery this week, I believe I did win the E9 jackpot. I have tracked down an NOS 3.0 CS crate engine, kept for years in a heated, dehumidified garage. Still in the factory packing with the warranty tag twist-tied to it. I'm guessing this will end up being the newest, lowest mileage engine on the planet. Life is good.

Entering the part number into the Real OEM search box identifies it a replacement engine suitable for Euro or USA spec cars. But it also indicates that the engine was spec-ed for "the Swedish National market."

So, does anyone know how Swedish engines compare to other European countries' engines or to a USA spec engine? Is the cam different? Different pistons? I assume this means no US smog nonsense. Any information about I have here would be greatly appreciated.

The people on this forum are the best!

Larry

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All 3.0CS engines have the same compression ratio and HP. What an awesome find though, congrats. How can you tell what spec it is, what numbers can you look up in RealOEM?

restart

Reaction score
That is amazing! Congratulations.
Larry, any chance you can look at a car for me?

Sorry sideways pic is all I have now.
Cheers
aL

Hi all!

Updating the results of my plea for engine replacement help earlier this week. First I want to thank everyone who provided advice and help, especially HB Chris who offered me an amazingly generous deal on his extra engine. Thank you all!

While I did not hit the Powerball lottery this week, I believe I did win the E9 jackpot. I have tracked down an NOS 3.0 CS crate engine, kept for years in a heated, dehumidified garage. Still in the factory packing with the warranty tag twist-tied to it. I'm guessing this will end up being the newest, lowest mileage engine on the planet. Life is good.

Entering the part number into the Real OEM search box identifies it a replacement engine suitable for Euro or USA spec cars. But it also indicates that the engine was spec-ed for "the Swedish National market."

So, does anyone know how Swedish engines compare to other European countries' engines or to a USA spec engine? Is the cam different? Different pistons? I assume this means no US smog nonsense. Any information about I have here would be greatly appreciated.

The people on this forum are the best!

Larry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 145

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Hey Al,

I'd be happy to take a look at the car for you. After this week's "storm of the century" however. Let me know where it is and we'll proceed from there.

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Replacement engine documentation

See attached photos of warranty book, part number, shipping label (Didn't know these were assembled in S. Africa), and a bad photo of the block. Head cast in 1986. So far so good...

Attachments

• 20160205_140009.jpg
    20160205_140009.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 107
  • 20160205_112428.jpg
    20160205_112428.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 108
  • 20160205_113413.jpg
    20160205_113413.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20160205_112819.jpg
    20160205_112819.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 119

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent find and an '86 head is the right one to have. When I bought Athena her head was cracked at two exhaust valves, replaced it with an '86.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
See attached photos of warranty book, part number, shipping label (Didn't know these were assembled in S. Africa), and a bad photo of the block. Head cast in 1986. So far so good...

Here is mine, short block warranty number 335582 so a bit earlier than yours, purchased in 1990 for US$ 3931.

Attachments

• image copy.jpg
    image copy.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 75

lloyd

Reaction score
The generic replacement long block you acquired is listed for all the following models and there does not seem to be a specific national or regional market. How was this part designated for the Swedish market, - does it come with ABBA tunes? 8) http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...ed-short-engine-30-A/1261485/11001263291.html (I suppose definitions vary, but I always thought the complete block less manifolds and cylinder head was commonly referred to as a "short block" and the block and head with possibly other accessories was a "long block."

3.0S Bavaria Automatic (M30) Sedan. From 04/1971 Up To 02/1977 .
3.0S Manual (M30) Sedan. From 04/1971 Up To 02/1977 .
3.0CS Manual (M30) Coupe. From 04/1971 Up To 02/1977
3.0CS Automatic (M30) Coupe. From 04/1971 Up To 02/1977
3.0S Automatic (M30) Sedan. From 04/1971 Up To 02/1977 .
3.0S Bavaria Manual (M30) Sedan. From 04/1971 Up To 02/1977 .

4.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All Swedish engines came with a beautiful Nordic Blonde caressing the air cleaner and purring in a heavily accented Swedish/sexy voice, "Take it off boys, take it off boys, take it all off." She was purring for a shaving cream. Am I dating myself? You bet.

Steve

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 great post!

All Swedish engines came with a beautiful Nordic Blonde caressing the air cleaner and purring in a heavily accented Swedish/sexy voice, "Take it off boys, take it off boys, take it all off." She was purring for a shaving cream. Am I dating myself? You bet.

Steve

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve O: IIRC, the commercial was for Noxzema shave cream. Wouldn't stand a chance being aired nowadays. Neither would "Fly Me!" from Braniff Airways....

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill, Right you are. A different era, perhaps galaxy. But Don Draper would love them, sell them and have a "fling" with the Nordic blonde and a couple of Stewardi. Joining the Mile High Club at the same time.

Steve