Wheel Cap Sticker Removal

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Replacing the adhesive roundels with new ones; my first thought was to use Bestine (rubber cement thinner) to remove the old stickers. Any other suggestions for a "safe" solvent? Thanks.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So I was looking for something late Saturday night and I found an old stash of these "metal" stickers. Since my caps were bare I thought I would try these on for size- They'll probably get stolen by some old hippie.

Attachments

• wheelcap8.jpg
    wheelcap8.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 117

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes but it won't be enough to do possible damage like a heat gun. When I took mine off the glue was so brittle that when I got a putty knife under them they came right off. Give the hair dryer a try, if they don't budge then try the heat gun.

I'd like to save them. A hair dryer has got to generate less heat than a heat gun?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those Dead stickers are awesome. The question is, when and what compelled you to buy them?

Len S: OK I have to.....you are in NJ, perhaps just leaving them in the open jersey air will be enough .....

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
You would think! Luckily Bergen County is the opposite of what people usually imagine when they think of NJ—plenty of trees and cleaner air in the northern part of the state...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got mine from BavAuto, price was not bad.

LenS: I know northern Jersey is quite nice, I grew up just on the other side of the Tappan Zee, when it was a buck to cross and it took 2 min.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bob,

Tell me about it! Every time I return to old neighborhood (Astoria) to get real Greek food, the tolls cost more than the meal!

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to follow up, I was able to remove the original stickers with a hair dryer and palette knife. Unfortunately the forty year old adhesive rendered the stickers unsalvageable except for use as future templates just in case BMW decides to stop producing them.

I tried removing the residual adhesive on the caps with Goo Gone, Mineral Spirits, 3M General Purpose Adhesive, and Bestine before finally having success with Acetone. Cleaned then polished the caps with Flitz before applying the new sticker. One down, three to go...