Wheelies

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks, undergoing an updated wheel tire combo for my ‘72tii. Have read the hot ticket would be to upgrade to a 15”X7 Alloy Wheel to find a current tire without going to a reproduction XAS, XWX, etc. Have narrowed my search to the following: BBS or Alpina. OZ makes Knick-off Alpina’s that would work but not good for show/Concour’s judgement. The car is Polaris Silver so the wheel should be one color throughout. Went through EBay, Amazon, Craigslist, and BMWCCCA websites last night. Was unable to find a domestic vendor who’d have them in stock for delivery within 2-4 weeks. So am asking if anyone knows of a vendor/club/E9 Forum reader who may be able to assist? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 17B8658D-8FD4-448D-AEC4-672B141DBA47.jpeg
    17B8658D-8FD4-448D-AEC4-672B141DBA47.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 80

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So if you're concerned about show/concourse, wouldn't you want stock steelies with the Michelin or Pirelli Cinturatos? 15x7 would get points deducted?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those wider rims and tires is going to make steering a bit of a chore. The 2002 is so nimble on the early wheels and tires. I regretted putting 14” e30 bottle cap wheels on my 75.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So if you're concerned about show/concourse, wouldn't you want stock steelies with the Michelin or Pirelli Cinturatos? 15x7 would get points deducted?
I will keep stock for show only. Have plenty of space for storing extra rims. We’ll see.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not for judgement purposes. Only for better ride. Hate reproduction tires. Will keep stock alloys for show with existing tires. Not dangerous but not good for highway interstate driving. Did Tii’s come with steelies as stock rims? Don’t remember them with anything but alloys, similar to my E9. Flipped E9 alloys for Alpina’s. Look gorgeous.

dbower

Reaction score
Not for judgement purposes. Only for better ride. Hate reproduction tires. Will keep stock alloys for show with existing tires. Not dangerous but not good for highway interstate driving. Did Tii’s come with steelies as stock rims? Don’t remember them with anything but alloys, similar to my E9. Flipped E9 alloys for Alpina’s. Look gorgeous.
tii's came stock with 5x13 steel rims that looked just like the 4.5x13 wheels on non-tii's. Same hubcaps. The FPS alloys (also 5x13) were a dealer option.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those wider rims and tires is going to make steering a bit of a chore. The 2002 is so nimble on the early wheels and tires. I regretted putting 14” e30 bottle cap wheels on my 75.
Yeah, thought of that. Believe highway cruising would be better suited to 15”’s. Might be wrong, but wanted to chance it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
fwiw, my Pirelli Cinturatos are made in a Pirelli factory and ride just as well as the modern Michelins they replaced. And look way better. I went from 15" Michelins to 14" Pirellis.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
tii's came stock with 5x13 steel rims that looked just like the 4.5x13 wheels on non-tii's. Same hubcaps. The FPS alloys (also 5x13) were a dealer option.
Really, by being a dealer option, Hoffman didn’t offer them from the factory? Dealer I worked at back in the ‘70’s was kind of a country bumpkin. Probably didn’t know what they were selling in the first place.

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
fwiw, my Pirelli Cinturatos are made in a Pirelli factory and ride just as well as the modern Michelins they replaced. And look way better. I went from 15" Michelins to 14" Pirellis.
Did not know that. These are CN36’s Cinturatos you have on?

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Where did you get your Cinturato’s? Guess I need to research more. Tire Rack didn’t have the size I requested but have the Vredestein which I believe is a pretty good tire?

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Longstone Tyre has good prices and ships affordably.
I’ll have a go with Longstone to see what’s there. Now, need to focus on wheels. T/U for your assistance. See your commentary on BaT every so often. Very compelling conversation. Your Malaga E9 is drop-dead gorgeous. To die for. Best-

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keep 13” if you want the best ride. A larger wheel will give you a worse ride because the sidewall is shorter to maintain the same rolling circumference. You wouldn’t want to increase tire height very much or you would end up with a taller gearing and lots of speedometer error.