Where Can I Buy E9 Hood Insulation?

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking for hood insulation for my Son's 2000cs. Most likely same as E9.
Also looking for he very thin rubber strip that goes under the chrome exterior trim on top of the door and rear quarter panels.
Thanks in Advance

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this also.

Years back (like, uh... 35 years ago) the fellas that rebuilt the engine in my 2002 installed foam insulation on the underside of the hood.
It was foil faced and looked great (and was easy to keep looking great as it could be cleaned really easy). See pic.

I'd be interested in doing something similar to the Coupe.

Any thoughts on where this material could be found?

DSC01184.JPG

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you do some searches here and in the 2002 forum, someone makes covered insulation pieces that one could wipe down, etc. Thought they look super sharp & more friendly. I, of course, discovered that shortly after buying the W&an piece. Still debating whether to install the old-style one I have.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A friend of mine - Rob Budd in MI makes great hood insulation for e9's. His web site is: classic9leathershop.com Chris Ohmes (Ohmess) saw mine and said they looked better than the ones he got from W & N. You might at least want to check the web site for pix and prices.

Gary

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I replaced mine for the E9 and E24 with OEM probably from the dealer. More than sourcing a new one the question is how to remove the old one.
I was helping remove one at a well known engine builder's shop that shall remain nameless, and I was doing that while the air filter was out as the car was being worked on, probably carbs work.
A perfect application of the phrase "patience young grasshopper", another thing I learned from the master...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I replaced mine for the E9 and E24 with OEM probably from the dealer. More than sourcing a new one the question is how to remove the old one.
I was helping remove one at a well known engine builder's shop that shall remain nameless, and I was doing that while the air filter was out as the car was being worked on, probably carbs work.
A perfect application of the phrase "patience young grasshopper", another thing I learned from the master...

I used a shop vac to remove mine. :D

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was told that the car that I was looking to put the insulation did not originally have it.
Not sure how to find out.
Thanks for all the info.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I covered the engine with a sheet, used a plastic paint scraper and some wax and grease remover on the decomposing hood insulation adhesive, and took my time. Like most jobs on the E9, the patience part is most important. ;)

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The original foam just looks so correct and after 12 years mine is still clean and I drive my coupe a lot.

Right - I understand Chris.

The pic I have above is after 28 years of use. I had about 80,000 miles as well.
It held up so well and was very cleanable, I'd like to find that material again. You see it after the couple of times I ran the engine when I didn't have the oil filler cap on... (oopppsss- and twice!!!! - then again - those were my young college days).

Exposed foam would have soaked up the oil like a sponge. With the foil - just wiped off.

I'm just looking for me - I may go original as well. Who knows right now.

Thanks

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Right - I understand Chris.

The pic I have above is after 28 years of use. I had about 80,000 miles as well.
It held up so well and was very cleanable, I'd like to find that material again. You see it after the couple of times I ran the engine when I didn't have the oil filler cap on... (oopppsss- and twice!!!! - then again - those were my young college days).

Exposed foam would have soaked up the oil like a sponge. With the foil - just wiped off.

I'm just looking for me - I may go original as well. Who knows right now.

Thanks

Have a look on the Dynamat site. I'm sure they have foil type hood insulation.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello All,
Came across this today.. NMNA.

Google translation
BMW 3 Series E9 - self-adhesive insulating mats bonnet.

The finished blank that sticks by itself! You NEED NO! Spray adhesive.
The insulation mat set consists of a self-adhesive and high-quality insulation material with structure in professional quality.
The adhesive layer is protected on the back with a foil that is easy to peel off.

The embossing of the structure increases the sound-absorbing surface and reduces the noise from the engine compartment.

Compatibility:
-BMW 3er E9 Yr. 68-75

You have the choice.
Select the material in the desired thickness for your set!
Product list:
- Pattern 10mm for 52 €
- Pimple pattern 20mm for 59 €
- Smooth surface 10mm for 52 €
- Smooth surface 20mm for 59 €
- Square pattern 15mm for

If interested, please send a message with the following information:
- Product
- Number
- Delivery address (possibly billing address)
- Payment method (PayPal or bank transfer)

The shipping costs are flat, regardless of how much you order.
- Shipping Germany 5.99 €
- Shipping European Union (EU) 15,99 €
- Shipping Switzerland 26.90 €
- Shipping Austria 15,99 €

Dimitry Alles und Vladislav Kaul GbR
Feldstraße 33
24105 Kiel
Mobil / WhatsApp: 015205752866
E-Mail:[email protected]