where find this **** knob ?

61porsche

Reaction score
T vs Knob Shifter for Auto

Both work the same. No safety; just a gate type dentent. The dentent plate under the shifter; one type has a slightly longer spring.

Each has a distinctive rod to recieve the respective shifter. Each has a distinctive length with slight difference which equates to a particular adjustment of the corresponding linkage. ( AKA; a shorter imperceptable throw.) The T- handle has more surface area on the rod than the knob type.

That's what I remember..... and Hendrix in the background.... voodoo child....:)

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Remydedez
Did you get the knob to work? I have an Alpina knob I'm thinking of installing till I do the 5 speed swap. Thanks

siscobmw

Reaction score
wasn't the difference based on different manufacturers - borg warner vs. ZF?

T lever went from 3.0 cs , so from early '71.....

that knob is still for sale from bmw-oldtimerteile.de by stefan ries, in germany, the complete lever sometimes pops out for sale on ebay .co.uk......

gearboxes .....borg warner vs zf......
except from the obvious(new auto trans are like led tv, 3 speed ones on e3-e9 are like black and white telly with no remote):
borg warner is not so weak , but if something goes wrong , every single internal components just explode, and is possible that no a single part will be usable.....and there is no big part availability.....
Driving a borg warner ...I can tell, imho, that it is slower even if compared to a zf 3hp 22.....it's lazy......not sporty.....no even slightly.....

zf: if you change oil every 20-30k miles it will last for ages.....
use too much throttle during an emission test and pack A clutch will die......and the car becomes a heavy card-holder.....

upshift and downshift is quicker than borg warner....but is not a rocket for sure.....just a little better...

tmason

Reaction score
I'm looking to remove my T-handle and replace it with a knob. Can you remove handle and some how not use the button release to shift the transmission? Thanks

Honolulu

Reaction score
Iirc...

and it has been a long time.... The T handle has the lockout button on the left. Pushing the lockout button rightwards with your thumb LIFTS a rod in the center of the chrome shifter tube. The bottom of the rod fits the detents, and so on....

Substituting a knob, you'd have to either run without lockout (I wonder if the shifter would reliably stay in place or wander on bumps) or work up a mechanism that would include the lockout rod and function the same.

You could assess the first option by taking off the T handle (a small allen screw on the lower front of the T IIRC), lift the rod, and see how easily or whether the shifter stays where you put it. If it stays, pitch the T and rod into the weeds and jam on the knob of choice. THEN you have to match the OD of the shifter with the ID of the knob...

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Honolulu
That explains what I was looking for, Tim.
PS The word jam describes to a tee my thought process for a just for now fix till the 265 install!