Where to buy brake pipe?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I see Walloth has a set, will I need to bend it? Any prebent sets available? Is it difficult to bend? TIA

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
So many different shapes so you can find the best for you.
Also BMW has own tool which was available at shop some time ago.

1691348615702.png1691348649737.png1691348680963.png

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used a brake pipe bender like the one shown above in the upper left from Krzysztof's post. I found it left a mark on the pipe. So, I put some cover like duct tape on the pipe at the location I wanted the tool to grip. Still made a mark. You may do better, but I was surprised that this was the price to use this style of bender. Best to have more than one type do do the job. Eastwood has a few different styles. Oh, and some tools cannot fit the small brake pipe, 3/16 or 4.X mm?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Heating up might help bending.

Some used just a pipe to bend the brake hose on.

There are at least three different materials hoses are made of:
- copper
- steel - OE BMW
- reinforced alloy

The easiest is to work on copper of course but OE look can be realized with metal.
Some are putting shrinkable boot (electrical isolation) on the brake lines to cover copper and avoid green oxidation which might also make the garage floor dirty (water dropping from oxidized lines)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
And it is recommended with any kind of bender to practice as the bending start and end has to be done precisely later on on the car.

Old brake lines are good material for it but not the original ones as they should be a shape reference for you.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Heating up might help bending.

Some used just a pipe to bend the brake hose on.

There are at least three different materials hoses are made of:
- copper
- steel - OE BMW
- reinforced alloy

The easiest is to work on copper of course but OE look can be realized with metal.
Some are putting shrinkable boot (electrical isolation) on the brake lines to cover copper and avoid green oxidation which might also make the garage floor dirty (water dropping from oxidized lines)

and there is cunifer...copper + niquel
AKA original looks

remember you must flare the ends to be able to secure tightness

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not much of experience but I have seen someone on YT using something like that. But it is not always possible so one axis rollers could do the job as well.

1691429555389.png

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used auto parts store fixed length pipes with the correct bubble flare ends. made of copper/nickel so you can bend easily. My most recent experience was with BMW steel lines. These need a tight grip to make required bends.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, I bought the Walloth set for the E3 in a $16 tool from eBay. The Wallace sets are made for the car and flared accordingly, but they do need to be bent. Easy if you have the original, and it is in good shape and bent properly. The hardest one went from the rear all the way to the front for a long run. You can do it easily, and like everything else , it’s trial and error and patience.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I should add that if you don’t need the whole set, it might be cheaper to just buy some locally, but then you’re gonna have to get a flare kit.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I used the set from WN, all pieces correct lengths. Used cheap tubing benders and end results not bad, certainly not perfect, and can certainly tell they are not original in look and profile. But I'm happy with them. You have seen them so you know what your get from WN and what has to be done.
If you go custom, I've got flare kit.
Jjs2800cs