Where to restore a very early Prototipo steering wheel?

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Hi,

a couple of years ago, I had the possibility to buy a very early pre-stacked 380mm MOMO Prototipo in order to use it in my nevada ´69 2800. What I didn‘t know at the time of purchase, was exactly how old it was and I got it pretty cheap, given its sad appearance. The engraved PAT. MOMO ITALY on the back of the bottom spoke dates it to 66-67. The ’Prototipo‘ stamp on the lower part of the front of the spoke is still visible but very faded. Before I got it, it had been stored for many years and unfortunately the leather which is still very smooth, has some really heavy pressure marks from other objects stored together with it. Can someone recommend a shop oder a person who would be interested in with very soft means try to restore it still using the original leather? In or around Germany or central Europe would make things a little easier..

The hub on the photo is still some MG or other british classic car hub. I‘ll sell that as sson as I get to it.

I‘d be happy for any ideas you might come up with.

Thanks
Anders

EBC12B9A-4F7F-47DE-9759-4696DFAB75C4.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As someone who has restored several prototipos, I wouldn’t cut up that leather. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the way my wheels turned out, but it still isn’t a perfect momo stitch. The guy I used has a 1yr+ backlog and shipping was gut wrenching.

You have nothing to lose right now. I would start by injecting some silicone in there and seeing what happens. I’m sure you can find some syringe style setups on Amazon or whatever.

Something like this:

I would tightly wrap all but the affected area with electrical tape (very tight). Inject the silicone through the gap in the leather. Get the syringe in there so it doesn’t ooze out of the stitch. Massage the leather and work in the silicone. Wipe off any excess asap.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agree with Markos. You'd be amazed at how you can alter the memory of fabric or leather. Mt original CSL seats had the same issue. A few goes with warm water and steam and 95% of the dent came out. I'd be getting advice on how to restore the original leather before going to replacement options.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
As someone who has restored several prototipos, I wouldn’t cut up that leather. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy with the way my wheels turned out, but it still isn’t a perfect momo stitch. The guy I used has a 1yr+ backlog and shipping was gut wrenching.

You have nothing to lose right now. I would start by injecting some silicone in there and seeing what happens. I’m sure you can find some syringe style setups on Amazon or whatever.

Something like this:

I would tightly wrap all but the affected area with electrical tape (very tight). Inject the silicone through the gap in the leather. Get the syringe in there so it doesn’t ooze out of the stitch. Massage the leather and work in the silicone. Wipe off any excess asap.
Thank you for your valuable input. I totally agree with you about originality and the seams are so pristine. From your experiance, would you still recommend to massage it with water/steam prior to the silicone step?

Cheers.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Agree with Markos. You'd be amazed at how you can alter the memory of fabric or leather. Mt original CSL seats had the same issue. A few goes with warm water and steam and 95% of the dent came out. I'd be getting advice on how to restore the original leather before going to replacement options.
Thank you, that seems like a good way to start.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for your valuable input. I totally agree with you about originality and the seams are so pristine. From your experiance, would you still recommend to massage it with water/steam prior to the silicone step?

Cheers.

That I don’t know. I haven’t worked with leather. Honestly I bet if you took it to a cobbler and told him or her how special it was, they could massage the leather and fill it with something. They have all that stuff.

You want to over emphasize that the leather is not to be treated or dyed however.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
Although it is attempting to try to get this one right, I prefer my steering wheels:

Slightly to medium dished
Firm leather grip
3 preferably black spokes, absolutely not polished/chromed

and somehow this one doesn‘t meet the first criteria since it‘s flat but as long as I don‘t run into a 370/380 early black Prototipo with original leather in good nick I‘ll have to give it a go!

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Put. a cloth in boiling water and then apply to the damaged area. I just saw a video of this yesterday. He was doing this to remove wrinkles in leather upholstery. so I don't know if it will work on what you have. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose