Where to source an Oil Pump??

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Running into a bit of an issue sourcing either an oil pump housing or the full oil pump. All the usual channels appear to be out of stock, and rely on BMW. BMW has it on backorder with no ETA since 2017, so it does not look promising there.

Thoughts?

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you guys explored replacing the inner and outer rotors? They seem to be available from the dealers for sure and maybe cheaper elsewhere for under $200. That's most of a new pump.

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am told that the issue can be with the housing itself, and that it does wear. Mine has not been taken apart, but it has a good deal of miles on it and I am doing a full rebuild.

Between Mesa and a couple other people I have some good leads on great condition used ones that could be rebuilt, so that may end up being the route I go if no one has a new one sitting around.

I was also told that the e34 m30 housing is identical except for the pickup, which could be swapped, so that is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Goble

Reaction score
The oil pump is the best lubricated moving part on the engine and unless you've had debris in your pan that isn't sticking to the magnet you should have there it should operate very well for hundreds of thousands of miles. I just stick the old one back in whatever motor I'm working with and call it good. The 'old' one in my 'new' motor runs 75-80# when the oil is warm.