Which AC compressor bracket?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Tackling my AC project this winter so I'm re-reading everything and making sure I have all of what I need. Many thanks to all who have posted extensively on the subject.

I have clarity on everything except which bracket I would use to attach a Sanden style 709 to the stock Euro M30 which never had a York or its bracket on it.

Seems like this one would work ona 508, but can't find it anywhere.
IMG_1014.jpg

The style below is available on Ebay and it looks just like the one CK uses on his kits (http://www.coupeking.com/?post_type=parts&p=5110) but does it fit a Sanden 709?
A537833_1061586_2.jpg

It appears to me the style that Steve used (below) is to be attached to the OEM York bracket, not in place of it, correct?
IMG-20110716-00415.jpg

Appreciate any pointers in this regard. TIA.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seems like sorting the damned bracket was the hardest for me part which is why I adapted the York. I would have preferred to have scrapped it. I am not sure if those brackets will fit, but I do know that a 508 and a 709 Sanden share the same mounting geometry.

I was going to buy this, see if they are still available somewhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Products-Conditioning-Conversion-Kit/dp/B001G394K2

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So the CK part replaces the York bracket that is attached to the block? I still have the old York mount as one of the bolts hits the damper and can't be removed without removing the damper.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car did not have AC so I was starting from scratch. The bracket I bought from nostalgic did not work. When I get in a jam I call Peter. I probably pay a little more for the parts but the advice is free and there is no guesswork on my (or my mechanics) as to whether a part will work.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone used r134 with the flare fittings? Even if condenser and pump use o-ring, the hard lines are still flair fittings. Does a flair to o-ring adapter have any benefit? I have heard that 134 leaks easier in flare fittings. I don't want to mess with r12.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Luis - It does not look like either of those brackets will work. I have the second one but the "ears" on my compressor appear closer together than that shown in your photo. They measure ~50mm between them and ~82mm outside to outside.

Chris - I have a mixture of both fittings (using r134) and have had no leaking problems.

Attachments

• AC1.jpg
    AC1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 592
  • AC2.jpg
    AC2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 609

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Sven. That compressor is the E24 style, same as used by CK. It's just not as plentiful and cheap as the Sanden's.

I welcome any other pics of other brackets and compressor combo's.

revitoff1o

Reaction score
The second picture from sven is the stock BMW bracket that is on any E34 535i (and I imagine E28 too) -It's also your pic from 'ebay'. If you have any 'pick a part' places by you, you should be able to find it easy and cheap. I actually just pulled the air conditioning out of my E30 (it has a B35 M30 swap) on Sunday and was going to throw away my bracket (well, recycle it). If you want one to experiment with, I can mail it to you - you're not too far away from me and snail mail should work.

Email me if you want (I'm not on the board everyday so email would be best) - revitoff10 at charter.net

Veronica

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Veronica: Thanks for the offer for the bracket. I've sent you an email.

Afeustel: There appear to be two compressors that are very similar but have a different mounting method. The one you describe for (some?) E30's, I'm just going by online parts catalogs and Ebay listings, have a different mounting in that they have two threaded bosses with a flat, square top, as seen on this photo from an Ebay listing ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Compres...ies&fits=Make:BMW&hash=item564c58e039&vxp=mtr )

25176836057044U_1.jpg

And those appear to use this mounting bracket:
B0014789.png

The compressor that Sven shows appears identical, except for the top mounting consisting of two ears, rather than the two bosses. My assumption is that ether one would work as long as it's paired with the appropriate bracket. Does anyone know otherwise?

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Luis, you are right...my bad. It's just the housing shape and size that are similar, which are both smaller than the Sanden and others. Sorry about that.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pics of setup on the E3

Luis,
Attached are pics of what is on my 3.5l in the E3. Pics are not the greatest but I think you can make out the style of bracket, compressor, and mounting.

Drew

Attachments

• AConE3 002c.jpg
    AConE3 002c.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 288
  • AConE3 004c.jpg
    AConE3 004c.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 287
  • AConE3 006c.jpg
    AConE3 006c.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 282
  • AConE3 008c.jpg