Which front brake pads?

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

What are you using for front brake pads? I ask because I can hear mine on the discs when I brake. I don't know if the compound is particularly hard or they are not seated yet. They create more dust than I like too. Please let me know and why?

THX
Bill

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I still use metalmasters because they work. For me they are a known quantity and even after 30 years, or maybe because of 30 years with 'em, I've not had any reason to change. But their availability IS getting impossibly hard, just like good rotors. Repco ->PBR->AXiid pads. I'll be watching this thread to see what others use now.

gwittman

Reaction score
Yes, I also have Metal Masters and don't think I can find them anymore. Interested in a good replacement when I eventually need them.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Additional thumbs up for REPCO/AXXIS/PBR (or whatever they are)....
When I lived in California - I used MetalMaster pads only. Worked great.
After moving to Seattle - They worked ok - but the first time I drove the car in the winter after moving up here... I really had to push on the pedal for the first couple of stops after leaving the house (or if parked for a while) when the brakes were stone cold.
They did quickly come up to temp and work great from that point on - but.... Very unnerving that first time it happened to me...
I switched to their DELUXE compound for my next pads.

From there - yeah - I have not been able to find them in a while... Would be interesting to see alternatives (or good sources for them).

Thanks

tochi

Reaction score
I still use metalmasters because they work. For me they are a known quantity and even after 30 years, or maybe because of 30 years with 'em, I've not had any reason to change. But their availability IS getting impossibly hard, just like good rotors. Repco ->PBR->AXiid pads. I'll be watching this thread to see what others use now.

I too have used MetalMasters on several early 70's BMWs - for decades. Found the so-called "deluxe" (semi-organic) friction materials to be less suitable than the MMs. The former seemed (in my opinion) to require greater braking effort when warm, created significantly more brake dust and seemed less durable, i.e., shorter lived. Although it may seem counterintuitive, I think the rotors experienced a longer life with the MMs, too. MetalMasters, like all friction compounds are a compromise. When left installed against brake rotors in moist/humid conditions, they can exhibit or develop rust. Since the same pad shape and style were used with the tii and early E12 and E24 models, I suspect that semi-metalic MetalMasters are still available, but perhaps with different branding.

The fact that the original poster can hear his brakes initially suggests that the pads have not conformed to one or more rotors, but any number of things can cause brake noise. This includes out-of-round or imperfect rotor surfaces, loose wheel bearings, loose calipers, or even the mounting of the pads in each caliper. Bear in mind that shims were often employed between the caliper pistons and the brake pads to limit heat transfer and to mitigate pad resonances and resulting noise. Many newer pads have materials on the backside that effectively limit pad movement and render backing shims - unnecessary. It should also be noted that many newer pads have chamfered leading and trailing edges to permit faster wear-in. (Cannot offer much personal advice regarding the spate of newer "ceramic" friction compounds that were not available when E9's were new.)

s-l300.jpg

for illustrative purposes, note chamfered edges.
kfe-ceramic-brake-pad-features-619x230.jpg

m73

Reaction score
Ferrodo -- get the one a little better than stock (can't remember the name) -- good bite without being obnoxious

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These guys in Costa Mesa can make pads to suit your needs, @OCCoupe used them which should be a great testimonial.