Which leather color is this ?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it looks too light compared to the original saddle tan. my guess this is one of the GAHH leather colors.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my guess would be 0521 light sand, 0526 light natural ... or maybe 07 saddle. i do know that the 07 saddle is much lighter than the BMW saddle

p.smitty

Reaction score
seat color

I just had my seats redone in that very same leather. It is indeed a GAHH product. The color is 07 Saddle. Very "buttery" and soft.

Pat

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've noticed that some of the recovers look a bit loose. Are you guys paying to have the "tuck" about 4" from the crevice of the seat? This car appears to be missing the tuck.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, the "tucks", "plucks" or what have you are essential for correct looking original CS seats. Many recovered leather seats are missing the tucks either on the seats, seat backs or both. Many upholsterers are not aware of them.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
A good upholsterer will also allow for a little shrinkage when working with leather. When done correctly the leather will shrink making the fit right but not too tight.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can someone tell me more about the 'tucks and plucks'? I'm going to be re-upholstering a pair of front and rear seats in my '74 CS over the winter (reusing the front seat bottom upholstery and installing new on the front side of the backrests, as well as removing and reinstalling the rear seat upholstery after refreshing a couple of the panels on them).

I've done a few Porsche Recaro seats, so am not a total novice, but this will be my first attempt on the BMW design seats.

Thanks for any guidance.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can someone tell me more about the 'tucks and plucks'? I'm going to be re-upholstering a pair of front and rear seats in my '74 CS over the winter (reusing the front seat bottom upholstery and installing new on the front side of the backrests, as well as removing and reinstalling the rear seat upholstery after refreshing a couple of the panels on them).

I've done a few Porsche Recaro seats, so am not a total novice, but this will be my first attempt on the BMW design seats.

Thanks for any guidance.
i hope you have a black interior, much easier to match the color ... or be closer. matching texture is not as easy for any color ... but matching tans ... rarely works well.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary I agree with Scott, you will never get the colors or textures right much less the patina. Not all blacks are created equally either that is if your interior is black. In addition your original leather will continue to degrade and possibly at a faster rate if you are planning on refitting it more tightly to the seat. I strongly suggest replacing the leather on all the seat surfaces, you will be much happier in the long run. Plus the new leather aromas will be amplified by the rear seats as well as the front!!!

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks for any guidance.

The 1st pic shows the original factory tucked pleats on both seat bottoms and seat backs. The 2nd and 3rd pics show the lack of tucks on the seats. They look kind of odd without the them. Tucks or plucks are not sewn continuous across the entire seat pleats, but rather each horizontal and vertical pleats are plucked from within to the interior seat springs right at the center of each pleat.

image_zpsvlf6lncw.jpeg

image_zpsgfle5sql.jpeg

image_zpsogabj5gz.jpeg

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 1st pic shows the original factory tucked pleats on both seat bottom and seat back. The 2nd pic shows the lack of tucks on the seats. They look kind of odd without the tucks. Tucks or plucks are not continuous across the entire seat pleats, but rather each horizontal and vertical pleats are plucked to the interior seat springs right at the center of each pleat.

Unable to upload pics thriugh my phone, will do so later tonight.

Shane as the tuck you a eazy/cheap to incorporate in the covers and quick to install

p.smitty

Reaction score
tucks and plucks

You are correct. The 'saddle 07' color seats seem a bit "naked" without the "tucks". I finally put my short shift kit in tonight (Getrag 265) and was able to compete the console. I can start taking pictures of my now "complete" interior. Will take/send pictures tomorrow.

I can already hear the "glossy wood finish" critiques, and I haven't even taken the
pictures yet!

Cheers,

Pat

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you all for the clarification. The '74 model seats do not have the 'tuck and pluck' for either the seat cushion or the backrest that those up through '73 had. Thus, I think my re-upholstery will be much easier than it would be with earlier cars. Not worried about 'matching', as I'll re-dye every bit of leather, new and original.

I really appreciate the clarification.

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recently saw Pat's interior and it really does look exceptional. The shop that fit his GAHH kit took extra effort (and time) to get the tucks to look correct. Although the shade of tan is a bit more "buttery" than my original saddle it still looks very good. As for the wood, I think the shine is pretty subtle and compared to my matte finish is just fine in my book. Overall Pat's car looks really stunning in malaga/saddle.

Now we just need to talk him into a 3.5 :)

p.smitty

Reaction score
More seat tucks from 72CS

GAHH Saddle 07.

Pat

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 127