Which Leather Conditioner?

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I need some leather conditioner, and can't decide which. Lexol, Zymol, Griotts, Meguiars all seem good. Even considering Leatherique.

The seats were all reupholstered 5 years ago, and the color has faded a lot, so they will need to be redyed at some point. But until then, I wanted to take care of them.

Recommendation?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Used Leatherique once, mostly Lexol, and sometimes that Chelsea paste/wax sold for leather soccer cleats. Hard to tell what is better, feels like using any of them is much better than letting the leather dry in the California sun. Applying leatherique is more of a bonding experience with your seat, and your skin smells of leatherique for a few days.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use Zaino products....decent product for leather conditioning.

Sounds like you might want to go with Leatherique if the leather needs dyeing.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Leather product(s)

You didn't state the color of your leather seats---??

In my 40 years of "feeding" leather I have tried and used several types on the black interior of BLUMAX. In most recent years I have been using Gliptone--a leather saddelry product from Germany that I like a lot. It has the consistency of thick paste and is relatively easy to use. One of its features--it renews the smell of leather after each use. My front seats and headrests were re-covered about 16 or 17 years ago and remain very pliable and nice--my rear seats remain original leather.

A useful hint for really dry leather:
shared by an old world craftsman--our rear seats at the tops get very intense sun exposure--and dry out--especially here in the Western and Southwestern states. He suggested pulling the seats--soak terry clothes with mineral oil--every drugstore has it--and drape them over those really dry surfaces for several days--keeping the terry cloth well supplied with mineral oil. I did this treatment to the old rear leather in BLUMAX--it worked and they remain original today for BLUMAX's 40 Birthday.

Build date for BLUMAX was actually 9-5-1969. At Cars 'n Coffee this morning I flew a 40th birthday balloon and announced that he was 40 years of age today--many smiles and comments--especially when noting its stunning appearance and condition with 412,500 miles reported--to date!

Relentless care and upkeep works!!

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Been using Leatherique on all my cars for almost ten years and can't say enough great things about their products (no affiliation). The Rejuvenator Oil really penetrates and lifts dirt and oil, and the Prestine Clean removes the Oil and conditions at the same time (it can even be used to clean vinyl). It may seem like a lot of work, especially for older, drier leather that may require multiple applications, but after consistent, annual use, the application gets easier and the results get better and better. I've used Hide Food and some of the other products mentioned above, but nothing comes close to Leatherique...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have buffalo hide analine dyed leather in my 745i turbos and nothing comes close to leatherique for me. Damn expensive sadly....

RokuMado

Reaction score
Connolly Leathercare Products

I like the "Connolly Hide Food" conditioner. They renamed it "Connolly Hide Care" after the FDA caught word of "food" on their labelling. It takes time to apply and best to sit overnight before wiping clean, but it makes my ints look almost brand new. I like it for regular leather. But I am also trying Leatherique Rejuvinator for the very first time on my Nutria Buffalo interiors on another car. I'll be pristine cleaning this afternoon sometime.

Attachments

• 635ints.jpg
    635ints.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 635ints2.jpg
    635ints2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 79