Which mirror type is correct?

74EuroE9

Reaction score
My car came with a driver's side flag mirror. I had the mounting for a passenger side mirror, but no mirror. Being new to the E9 world and unaware that there are 2 types of mirrors (or are there?) I bought a replica passenger side mirror. It looked great as I pulled it out of the box (with the exception of an ill-fitting white plastic surround, that needs constant 'tucking in' using a fingernail. I guess that's a function of the 'Made in China Syndrome'). In my haste, I did not realize that I now had 2 different kinds of mirrors on my car: A flag type on the driver's side and a trapezoidal on the passenger side. I'm tempted to go for another trapezoidal mirror for the driver's side so I have a matched set. The flag is a bit bigger, but the trapezoidal seems more suited to the lines of the car. I have a 1974 3.0 CS Euro. Can anyone tell me, definitively, what is the correct mirror for my car? Are the flag mirrors OEM spec for 2002s? I've spoken to two E9 authorities and each says something different. I like these details to be right.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is my opinion so take it for what it's worth. Early coupes had the trap mirror and during production of the 73 models, perhaps from the very start, the flag was introduced. My 5/73 3.0 has the flag style. The trap mirrors were used on 2002s up through the 74 model year, 75s got the flag style. I had a brand new late 74 2002 and it had a trap mirror.

Euro coupes could have been different but I doubt it. And according to the parts books, the electric mirrors were introduced near the end of 74 model production, at 4310329 and 4335392 and the euro CSi at 4340782.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
There were 4 types of side mirrors available for the E9 during its lifespan. Initially, there were the bullet shaped mirrors that were mounted mid front driver side fender for the 2800CS and the early 3.0's. Next came the trapezoidal mirrors, then the flag style mirrors followed. Finally toward the end of production, the electric mirrors were mounted.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I learn something new every post. I thought the bullet shaped mirrors on the front fenders were exclusive to the 2000CS. I have seen a few photos of early e9s with the bullets mounted on the fenders, and thought they were incorrect mirrors incorrectly placed.

I am so used to seeing mirrors on the doors they look odd on the fenders. But not the fenders of the 2000CS.

So how many different red-handled screwdrivers were there?

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
When I got my 72 coupe it had a flag mirror mounted in the standard USA position. It was what I call a “swivel neck mirror”, just mounted too far back for comfortable driving. I tried moving the flag mirror up to the front of the door but the mirror glass is too far out from the door and partially blocked by the vent window frame. The trapezoidal mirror mounts closer to door and wasn’t blocked by the vent window frame so to me it was the only mirror that was actually practical for driving. The right door trapezoidal has to be mounted about a 1” further back compared to the left to get a clear view. The fender mounts are probably even nicer for driving (less turning of the head) but I can’t stomach the look.
!1a1cuzzz.jpg

!1abc109.JPG
Don’t know what is original or correct for the year but what I did was correct for me. ~ John Buchtenkirch

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The flag does give slightly better coverage than the trap mirror. That is why even Blumax wears flags even though it came with traps. I don't care for the euro mirror location myself and I think symmetry dictates the same location left and right but that's just me.

John S

Reaction score
For what it's worth my '74 3.0 csi (#4340036 11/73 build date, Italian delivery) came with only a drivers side flag mirror (mounted in the European location). I've never added an additional mirror on the right hand side. My other cars US '73 & '74 2002tiis have the same flag mirrors mounted in the US location on both sides.

Last edited:

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Mirrors-mirrors on our coupes--

It is/was & has been my understanding that the driver side mirror--of whatever type was appropriate at the time was a stock factory installation--see original pictures in the factory sales brochures and in owners manual. If your coupe had mirrors on both sides it is most likely a added mirror that was added on the passenger side by a PO.

The passenger side was the owners later choice. I originally had the trapazoid driver mirror and added apassenger side to match--later I chose to go flags on both sides due to many years of SoCal Freeway driving as a safety matter. It worked as have driven countless thousands of said miles witout accident or incident. Properly adjusted they give excellent coverage of the "blind spot" as well.

gwittman

Reaction score
I didn't think there was a "blind spot" in the Coupe. I guess it is just a matter of how far you are willing to turn your head. ;-)

74EuroE9

Reaction score
My VIN is: + 2232718 +

Got this courtesy of WAY GmbH:

The BMW 3.0 CS Automatic VIN 2232718 was manufactured on September 25th, 1973 and delivered on February 27th, 1974 to the German BMW dealer Glöckler in Frankfurt / Main. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
For what it's worth my '74 3.0 csi (#4340036 11/73 build date, Italian delivery) came with only a drivers side flag mirror (mounted in the European location). I've never added an additional mirror on the right hand side. My other cars US '73 & '74 2002tiis have the same flag mirrors mounted in the US location on both sides.

+1
flag mirror only in driver´s side
i will never add a right side mirror
i love the 70´s look

P6095632.jpg

regards

Stefan

Reaction score
Mirror type and the placement confusion

After studying this detail on a lot of different E9 pics, it's hard to say what is a "standard" for a specific model year, at least for European models. I guess it was specific for different European countries?

By that, I don't know if the so-called "European position" is a correct reference.

The flag mirror was also installed on E3 and 2002 (+other?) but was the trapezoidal mirror unique for only E9?

Last edited:

Stefan

Reaction score
Smartphone or what?

Thanks Mercury!

Your pics answered my unconsidered question. (sitting in a subway asking questions without all information makes me like a fool) Sorry for that :)

Back home I was lurking again and my first thought was that E9 kept the trapmirror longer than E3 and 2002?

I had both E3 (72) and 2002 (70) and they are only equipped with flag mirrors (both side).

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
in1974...

In 1974 CS's were offered with electric driver-side mirrors, same unit as on the 3.0 & 3.0Si.

I was surprised to see an tall 3.27 LSD option(or was it a 3.25). Maybe that was the Bavarian answer the the 5-spds every one else had introduced 10-15years earlier.

<both per the original window sticker for my E9>