Which struts work with E3/E9 wishbones?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking ahead a little bit to my next project I'm thinking of putting an air suspension on my '69 2800. I mentioned it a while back but I'm getting closer to actually working on it. In case it doesn't work out like I hope I'd like to keep the original struts untouched, so I'd like to use a different strut to do the chopping and welding on. Something easier to find and cheaper than an E3.

Any suggestions? I guess it only needs to bolt onto the wishbone since it will be cut off above the spindle.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure why I would buy Ground Control struts and cut them up. I either need an extra set of E3/E9 struts or something else that would work. E12? ?? The air suspension I have are struts so I need to attach them to a BMW spindle.

IMG_20171205_154054643.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
e12 and early e24 struts will work. Not particularly easier to find though. Someone mentioned that the camber on e12 strut is more positive than an e3/e9.

You should be able to find a set of e3/e9 cores for $200 - $250.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess I could always do the mod on the existing struts and only have to track down replacements if it doesn't work out. Or what I usually do is spend a bunch of time finding something, pay for them, then find a set sitting in storage that I had all along. :D

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

I expect to have a set of front struts available sometime during the winter. I'm replacing them with a set of Paul Cain adjustable struts. Don't know if that works with your timing.

Gary

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan,

I expect to have a set of front struts available sometime during the winter. I'm replacing them with a set of Paul Cain adjustable struts. Don't know if that works with your timing.

Gary
Yes, that would work out great. I'm just in the "thinking about it" stage right now...