Which type of stud puller is best?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Think I am going to be removing a lot of studs soon.

Seems there are three styles

Universal (1)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Titan-16023-...tive_Tools&hash=item20dcd2b643&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

This style (2)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wright-Tools...tive_Tools&hash=item19e68f57e9&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

And these kits. (3)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CORNWELL-TOO...tive_Tools&hash=item485ea045ac&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Are there pro's and con's to any off these (Call them #1-2-3)

Gonna be buying myself a present tomorrow, in case the underwear are not to my liking!

Tia

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Number three, cheap and effective

I use #3. These apply a centered force if used with a sliding t bar and require very little clearance around the stud. Their only drawback is inability to 'reach' past long threads and they don't work on 'waisted' studs.

John

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used #3 to remove nearly of the studs in my E3 restoration and worked well. Any of these might sometimes slightly deform the threads if it can't bite enough of the stud and the force required too great, but they will shape back using a thread chaser die, if need be. There aren't enough hours in my lifetime to have done all those studs with the two nut method...

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, since I love tools , # 3 it is.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used #3 to remove nearly of the studs in my E3 restoration and worked well. Any of these might sometimes slightly deform the threads if it can't bite enough of the stud and the force required too great, but they will shape back using a thread chaser die, if need be. There aren't enough hours in my lifetime to have done all those studs with the two nut method...

Just wondering if you replated most of the studs on your E3 or replaced them?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering if you replated most of the studs on your E3 or replaced them?

Re-plated except for exhaust related ones which I replaced. The EFI intake assembly has a ton of studs not found on the carburated M30s thus my use of the most effective tool for the job, "#3". Those studs also don't suffer as much as exhaust ones so reusing was feasible. I reused most every bolt and stud and replaced most nuts and all washers.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
ALso, did you install new studs with Loctite or anti Seize?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Neither, just put them in tight without the stud being deformed by the stud 'grabber'.