Which water pump to buy in 2021?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I figured out where the noise was coming from that I thought was rockers or timing chain. It's the water pump. I consider that good news. A couple questions since others have gone through this... Which brand is good these days, since brands like Graf are suppose to be made in Europe but at least some are made in China according to other feedback. Next question is, I currently run an original 5-blade fan. Should I get a different pump and change fans/clutch? I'm adding an electric pusher fan anyway, but I like the idea of the engine driven fan disengaging. Or, just get a 9-blade fan and call it good?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My motor (b35) was fit with a third party pump. It failed after 2000 miles. It was replaced with a real BMW one. Works great so far but the shaft was a little longer putting the fan very close to the radiator.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
with water pumps I look for ones definitively made in Germany. Usually old stock off eBay where you can confirm with seller the country of origin.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
My Haynes manual goes through a rebuild procedure. Has anyone tried to rebuild one? I would think it is all about the quality of the bearing and seal, yes?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ordered one through my local dealer. They gave me a wholesale discount so the price wasn't too bad.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Which of the two style pumps did you order? Early style I presume to keep friction clutch or add adapter with viscous clutch?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Which of the two style pumps did you order? Early style I presume to keep friction clutch or add adapter with viscous clutch?
I ordered 11 1 9 070 756. Should I have ordered the 11 51 9 070 760 off of the B35? I don't have anything else to upgrade the fan yet either.

EDIT: Ah, now I see I probably should've ordered the later pump for the B35 and get the clutch and 9-blade fan. I do remember when I had an E34 535i I had so many fan clutch failures I just put an electric fan on it and never looked back.

Last edited:

James Poulter

Reaction score
Hi,

These are very good quality, Febi Bilstein so German made very close to the original, also very good value, fitted mine today. Should certainly be good for 40,000 miles which my car isn't likely to see in a very long time.

B6F85ED6-7678-4968-BCB5-CAC15DEFD616.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Other thna the Febi corporate German address, does it actually say made in Germany on it? They can play loosey goosey with that

stphers

Reaction score
Made in Germany does not always mean that it is good Worked for Volkswagen Canada for 10 years and spent time at both Wolfsburg and Bratislava . We were right on the assembly line watching, talking to workers where the majority of them were from Eastern Europe better paying jobs that at home but still not great Saw plenty of poor workmanship! Most parts coming out of Germany are probably made elsewhere because it is the bean counters that really run the companies so they want to save a dime Lot's of it is farmed out to other companies All brands nowadays are the same so bottom line, just cause it says made in Germany doesn't automatically make it better Keep this in mind

Thanks, Rick