White CSL on Ebay UK

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Too consistent to be coincidence. But why sell just one when you can scam two more.

Shouldn't some one alert ebay to take a look.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting pricing: rounding up, 30K 40K 50K for what seems like the same car.
And does the original car exist or is it lifted?

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Three different cars I think:

Chamonix one is the only with an air damn

Fjord has front fog lights

Inka has neither

Interior shots do look identical

Nash

Reaction score
Guys,

This outfit is real and they are actually decent guys.

Now as to the fact of knowing how to describe a CSL, or what a good one looks like, maybe they leave a little to be desired. I have to say I have found most people don't know what a good CSL should look like, including many people at club meets.

They are car dealers and wear the same rose tinted glasses they all do, especially when they deal with so many other marques.

They had a Green Batmobile for sale for a long time about two years ago, somebody I know was talking to them and in the meantime another gentlemen bought the car. Car was shipped to US and I understand the new owner was more than happy with his purchase.

Obviously, each car is different and "buyer beware" is necessary, but please do not worry about them being real, they are.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
4* classics

I can verify that these cars are for real. They have been for sale for a while (18 months?). The chap who runs the place is an enthusiast and has a number of other lightweights in "project" trim.The Fjord car seemed to me to be the most honest stock in every department but one - the electric sunroof. I wish someone could get to the bottom of this i.e. is it really the only living example of a factory-fitted sunroof on a lightweight or maybe it was fitted pre-delivery by a desperate dealer anxious to seal a deal? I know that other dealers refused to do this in '73. In other respects it looked fine to me; all the elusive little rubbery/plasicky bits were there. A great pity about the roof otherwise I am certain that it would not still be for sale at £30k.John.

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
Buyer beware ????????

What is it about human nature that makes some people form opinions without looking thoroughly at the facts and coming to conclusions that can inconvenience someone totally innocent , through no fault of their own, and on top of that, expect some else to do the dirty work?

I'm sure that there wouldn't be so much finger pointing if the accused had the right to reply to the accuser!

Nash

Reaction score
????

I am at a loss………is there are problem with saying "buyer beware" it certainly was not said with any kind of malicious comments on this car or these dealers.

in fact, I had hoped my post was fairly complimentary of 4 star classics, including mentioning the only deal I know they have done is one in which the buyer was very happy, but adding that they are dealers/sellers so basically do your due diligence.

Just shows, everybody can read it differently

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
Buyer Beware????????

I am at a loss………is there are problem with saying "buyer beware" it certainly was not said with any kind of malicious comments on this car or these dealers.

Sorry Nash, I wasn't quoting you! It was more along the lines of

'Buyer Beware of misleading and unsubstantiated quotes from people who have taken a cursory look at adverts and assumed that someone is out to scam others'

together with the passing the buck quote

'Shouldn't some one alert ebay to take a look'

Earlier in the year, I found O's CSI advertised at a ridiculously low price on a Dutch site. I alerted the site straight away and the owner (see my postings) I didn't wait for someone else to do it.

Maybe if you now read my previous posting here, you will read it differently!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I posted the "alert ebay" note. I rarely go on ebay(usually clicking on links here on e9coupe - hence my post), don't buy, and hear almost nothing but complaints and warnings here on e9 and elsewhere about the problems with buying and selling on ebay. I remember two occasions in the past where coupes appeared for sale on ebay that were out and out scams. And how many coupes are advertised here because the seller is loathe to go on ebay or craigslist.

I took more than a cursory look at the three cars keeping in mind the original post about photoshop. How to make a Kia look like a Porsche.

And the sellers have every opportunity to defend themselves and correct inaccuracies here and elsewhere. To engage in the kind of discussion that is going on right now.

Steve ONeill

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
I took more than a cursory look at the three cars keeping in mind the original post about photoshop. How to make a Kia look like a Porsche.

Was the OP suggesting that the cars were Photo-shopped?

' Quite the consistency in photography' suggests to me that he was commenting on the fact that the photographer goes to great lengths to produce what he considers to be the most flattering and informative photos for potentials buyers who can then decide whether to make further enquiries.

And the sellers have every opportunity to defend themselves and correct inaccuracies here and elsewhere

Do they need to? Have they done anything wrong ? Inaccuracies? I assume comments made about them and maybe an apology?

I think that you have made my point from my first posting that they shouldn't be put in the position of having to defend themselves.

How to make a Kia look like a Porsche

Hmmm, Must have missed that, probably edited out of posting

As for Ebay, I doubt that it has any more or less complaints from people than any other internet based selling medium. I love the opportunity of being able to scan a worldwide market to buy and sell, even make new friends, which I have done.

Caveat Emptor. A phrase probably as old as the language.

Libel. Now there's an interesting word!

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having worked in the Video and film business, I was amazed that you could get the angles, placement, lighting and exposure identical in the shooting of those three cars. My gut feeling was that it would be easier to photoshop the colours on the same car. Then I kept looking at the detail differences. Fog lights, coolant tanks, etc.

If someone reported this to the authorities, I am sure they were motivated by good intentions.

Rob750

Reaction score
4 Star Classic UK Garage

These cars do exist , I have seen them when I visited the premises just south of Guildford in Surrey as part of the e24 meeting that was held there. Their barn contained approx 80 cars for sale. 4 Star classics have been around for a number of years now. In fact the Inka one I pointed out to Jon Furley whose own car in this colour was involved in an accident ,

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sportster, this really should have ended with Nash's post at the bottom of page 1.
Steve ONeill

barely03

Reaction score
White CSL

These cars are for sale by 4 Star and I have had one of the E9 forum members that lives in the UK tell me he has seen the cars in person. They are actually privately owned but on commission to 4 Star. I have restoration pictures of the white CSL (was originally Inca Orange from the factory) if anyone is interested. The only reason I haven't bought one or two of them is the unknown price one could get for a RHD car in America. I've been told by very knowledgeable E9 members on this board that I would be lucky to break even if I were to try to resell them. They all have been for sale for a while and will come down somewhat if price.

The salesman is James Gillett [[email protected]] if you want to drop him a line.

Barely03

Nash

Reaction score
thoughts

Gents,

As I understand things, this forum was for E9 fans to share and learn information. In doing so, sometimes we will be wrong - we can't all be experts - we hope then that somebody can politely correct us and we all move on with better information.

I hope I have said that correctly and that we do not resort to personal attacks on people, who were merely wrong, no more no less.

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was once a 'VICTIM' of similar unfounded comments and found myself having to reply unnecessarily.

I'll leave it at that.

Merry Christmas and a 'Fulfilling' New Year to ALL