Who designed the E9? I know Karmann built them

execmalibu

Reaction score
I thought I read that the E9 was designed by an Italian design team like Ghia, Pininfarina or Bertone. Who designed the E9?... I know the bodies are built by Karmann.

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
The progenitor of the E9 CS coupes was the 1965 2000C. The designer, Wilhelm Hoffmeister, is credited with first penning the little forward wedge at the base of the C-pillar that has become a BMW design hallmark known as the "Hoffmeister kink." Apparently, it only seemed kinky the first time, because the same styling cue has not only adorned nearly every BMW since but also many a would-be Bimmer from other manufacturers.

The "S" of later "CS" coupes was left from the decklid of this base model, perhaps owing to its single Solex-carbureted 2.0L 100-hp engine. The 2000CS breathed through twin sidedraft Solex carbs for a healthy 120 hp, but these early models had a rather curious frontal design with large, bulbous headlamps. Many bon vivants of the era straightened their ascots, stroked their sideburns and went across the street to the Mercedes-Benz dealership for a look at the SL. But sufficient numbers apparently found the BMW coupe groovy; the snout endured unchanged until 1968. Today, a 2000C or CS on the market sends collectors scrambling for money market checks.

Its six-cylinder-powered successor, the 2.8L 2800CS, appeared with revised nose in 1968, to be followed by the 3.0L 3.0CS and CSi in 1971. The "i," of course, stands for the coupe's Bosch D-Jetronic fuel-injection system. Other variants include the legendary 3.0CSL lightweight coupes that dominated street and track for much of the 1970s and, at the other extreme, a fuel-sipping 2.5CS that appeared in the European market in 1974-75. While U.S.-specification E9 production actually ended in December 1974, according to BMW, the model sold here well into 1976.

In the early 1970s, BMW was faced with the harsh reality of impending American rollover safety legislation that would effectively preclude sale of the lovely E9 "CS" coupe in this market. The striking E9 design depended heavily on the absence of a B-pillar supporting the roof. Without it and other crashworthiness enhancements, BMW no doubt correctly perceived that the car would not pass the inverted drop that tests roof crush resistance.

Now, one problem with having one of the world's premier automobiles in your model lineup is that you must replace it with something equal or, preferably, better. The E9 was the proverbial tough act to follow, especially at a time when U.S. BMW sales ballooned after the 1975 corporate takeover in which BMW wrested control of the U.S. market from the great automotive tyrant, Max Hoffman. Hoffman had previously imported Bimmers here since the 1950s. With the birth of BMW of North America, sales doubled within three years, rendering the U.S. market a big player in corporate strategy; it's been all good since.

Read more: http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0401ec_bmw_coupe_history/index.html#ixzz1N6Zvo4MW

execmalibu

Reaction score
The design looks like he stole most of the car from #200Cs by Bertone.

Jerry,

If you look at the side photos of the Bertone designed 3200CS (1962-65) you will notice a lot of their designs were used in the E9. Granted Hoffmeister modified the nose and it looks much better but I would still give a lot of credit to Bertone for the overall design... Including the B pillar with the Rondel, The full pillar-less glass, The trunk and rear bumper looks like they will fit an E9 and even the wheels are similar... The dash has similarities also.

And those round taillights I know I have seen those on another BMW but I cant remember where. Probably mistaken Eh?

Attachments

• 800px-BMW_3200_CS.jpg
    800px-BMW_3200_CS.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Bertone_BMW_3200CS_Coupe_1964_03.jpg
    Bertone_BMW_3200CS_Coupe_1964_03.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 338
  • 6a00d834515a6e69e2010535907102970c-800wi.jpg
    6a00d834515a6e69e2010535907102970c-800wi.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
I most whole heartedly agree that there many influences at work. It's been some time since I followed the various influences of that era and many more of them that are just a part of history now.

I bought my coupe for many reasons. The fish bowl, the size, appointments, the handling, and I guess I could go on...... probably more because I can remember them when newish.; my friends who had them, and it was all good. But I also enjoy riding the rails. ( Porsche rails, that is.)

Like others, it was my mom who had the cool cars... dad had Lincolns.

I just came from the school of you race what you brought and you fixed what you broke. Hard to do that now without sponsers, millions, on a hobby that's now a sport.

But I still enjoy the waives and smiles; especially the kids... because that was me too.... a long time ago. Free rides for all who ask. Turn off the gameboy, strap in, hold on. If you come back the second time.. we must have the same thing in common.. ah the spark.

But I also remember waiting for simple parts for weeks; most times not even knowing if it was in stock. Back to another supplier....

I also learned long ago that if I was to enjoy driving a car in Texas, it had better have a/c.... even if the top was down.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
The progenitor of the E9 CS coupes was the 1965 2000C. The designer, Wilhelm Hoffmeister, is credited with first penning the little forward wedge at the base of the C-pillar that has become a BMW design hallmark known as the "Hoffmeister kink."

Yea, but the progenitor of the 2000C was the 3200CS, pictures of which were posted by execmalibu. Credit for that car design goes to Giorgetto Giugiaro who was at Bertone in the early 1960's. And, the 3200CS has the kink - so, I'd call it the "Giugiaro kink"

800px-BMW_3200_CS.jpg

Honolulu

Reaction score
waitaminnit

Y'all need to remember that long, long ago, Marilyn Wegweiser (who dat? I hear you say) got her car into some hoity-toity section of a major West Coast car show, that was nominally for cars of Italian origin by showing early sketches of what was supposed to be the (very) pre-production coupe, designed by... (wait for it)... Michelotti. He of (IIRC) the BMW 700, and I think, some early Triumph cars (?).

For some strange reason, I seem to recall that TJ might be aware of this. TJ, you still around, or off in Ducati-and-Alfa-land? Did you/do you?

Okay, Marilyn is (was?) Art Wegweiser's wife. More, I know not.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hoity-Toity West coast Show--and Marilyn W.

We--E-9 owners were welcomed for display at the Quail Lodge at early Concorso Italiano gatherings--maybe the hoity toity show she attended --for a number of years due kinship ties from the several Italian design hands that were laid upon BMW's early coupes--including G. Giugiaro when he was very young and associated with the House of Bertone--I understand was his first auto design gig--that invitation to Concorso continued for several more years at their gatherings at different venues--but interest in being there seems to have waned as their focus is now more on featuring exclusively Italian these days.

Of course--with the growing popularity of the annual BMW Concours--now Legends of The Autobahn--our interest in being with Concorso Italiano that same day has seriously waned.

So--while I missed the year she was in attendance here in the wild west I was briefed that Marilyn W. was very heavily engaged in instructing her fellow E-9 owners here on the West Coast all about all things of CS ownership, their qualities, beauty, proper care, upkeep, etc.--someone suggested there was a touch of arrogant know how in her delivery--but that may have been hearsay--and upon her departing there was not a tear shed due her having to go back East--but I may have been mistaken about the tears.

pmansson

Reaction score
To 61 Porsche

One of your reasons for buying was size, and I presume you mean that it is fairly small and neat altogether. I agree entirely, but when I look at it next to an E-type of mine (coupe), the E9 looks colossal.
The beauty of the E9 is that it looks very good from any angle. Many cars will look great from the front or the side, and less often from the rear, but I think the E9 has one of the best rear ends in modern automotive history. The slanted panel, as on the front, with the beautiful rear lamps (compared to modern cars´vast areas of red plastic), the curved trunklid.... It is a very sweet car, yet aggressive.

tschultz

Reaction score
Came upon this good article on the older coupes, giving credit to Bertone and his designs for BMW.

http://drive4corners.com/index.php/built-by-bertone/

Are there drive4corner members involved with this forum?

Indeed, glad to see that the link has made it onto E9coupe. It is definitely an interesting story, especially how it connect back to the later 'bigcoupe' models. Downforce22 who is also on this forum wrote that article.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always opined that the E9 is an Italian car with German mechanicals.
The article kind of supports that with facts...

The low waist and fishbowl structure comes very handy for hand waving modes of communication people use in Italy. The B pillar elimination takes that to the extreme as I can now swing my arms outside the vehicle for extra emphasis while I scream Animale!

FGS

Site Donor
Reaction score
Michelotti was asked by BMW to draw the four-eyed front end of the 2500 CS to replace the bulky front end of its predecessor.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Kinda interesting thread because it started a while ago, we still have Murray weighing in with commentary from the beyond!