Will this BAT “coupe” reach $100K

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It’s got a “Hoffmeister” kink, but little else in common with our coupes. Sure is pretty. Curious if the spike in e9’s will effect other Euro GT coupes.

jmackro

Reaction score
I like it, but wish it had a few more toggle switches.

16179255384339e830999.jpg

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Love the car!
Only issue i have with it is the rear. Looks like the designer got tired of drawing when they got to end (both picture borrowed from the internet):
View attachment 118933View attachment 118934

Boy they look so nice in dark blue! The Maserati designers should have sharpen their pencils before drawing the rocker cover trim. Just a bit to wide...
We Italians call it the “Berlusconi Kink”;)

Last edited:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Love the car!
Only issue i have with it is the rear. Looks like the designer got tired of drawing when they got to end (both picture borrowed from the internet):
View attachment 118933View attachment 118934
I agree....or it was by committee."Maybe something like the 64 Mustang...and I have these tailights from a VW Squareback...and some bumperettes from a bmw 1600...and back glass, I sort of like the Ford Fairmont...."
Makes me realize the genius of the roor/pillar/back glass is on the e9.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The toggles in my '69 E-type roadster were a panel of newer "butterfly" switches. They either didn't work when you switched them or worked by themselves whenever they wanted. Lucas "Prince of Darkness" for sure. That was the only thing that gave me trouble though. Pretty awesome car for it's era.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Whenever I hear the word, Maserati, I think of racing my favorite Corgi 1/43 scale Maser, a Birdcage, (dear Nana gave great Chistmas gifts...) down the front sidewalk with my brothers, or their recollections of the Maser that Wilbur Shaw drove at Indy. Fascinating individual......Or best, Wally Schirra, one of my favorite astronauts....Many had Corvettes, he had a 3500gt (I think...) Way cool. I'm sure that our friend Afuestal, in Houston knew that...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
When these were 30k cars, spending 3k (10%!) on rebuilding the carbs or doing the brakes correctly seemed crazy. A drop in the bucket now considering where the values are headed for many of these. I've always loved the 3500Gts myself but no question this is pure Italian aristocracy...

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It seems really well bought, especially with what has been transpiring on BAT as of late. And for whatever reason, I love that it's called a "Mexico." It's not something you would think an Italian car company would name a car. It brings you back to the old Mexico races but this car wouldn't seem like a car that would be raced in one of those, that's why, in a weird way, I love it. It drew me in as well before I saw this post, not a car you see everyday and the Blue with the Red interior looks "smashing".......yes, I said, "smashing"...LOL

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems really well bought, especially with what has been transpiring on BAT as of late. And for whatever reason, I love that it's called a "Mexico." It's not something you would think an Italian car company would name a car. It brings you back to the old Mexico races but this car wouldn't seem like a car that would be raced in one of those, that's why, in a weird way, I love it. It drew me in as well before I saw this post, not a car you see everyday and the Blue with the Red interior looks "smashing".......yes, I said, "smashing"...LOL
Actually quite an interesting story behind the name. In 1961 the President of Mexico took delivery of a Maserati. He later sold it to another Mexican citizen, who, unfortunately crashed it. The car was sent back to Italy for repair where they replaced the engine and fitted it with a new Michelotti designed body. When on display at the Geneva Motor show in 1966, reaction was so positive that Maserati decided to put this model in production. Eventually making 482 examples. In recognition of the first 2 owners of this chassis, the model was called Mexico. :)