Window guide

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just pulled the front electric windows out of the car while we do a repaint and thought it would be good time to give them (the window mechs) a birthday.
On pulling out the rear guide that the window bolts to and soaking it in petrol to clean of 36 years of hardened greese that is full of grit and crap I can now see the 4 x steel wheels that slide in the track (all good) BUT--- I find a little spring in there that from what I can make out gos in between the little lever thingys on the two middle wheels.
My question is--Is the spring meant to put preasure on the lever thingys (pushing them apart)?? the spring that fell out seems to be to short to have any real effect on anything, on closer inspection one end off the spring has a flat end and the other end dosent, maybe a peice has snapped of making the spring to short?????

Anyhow, any info on this would be all good, maybe photos if anyones got any??

thanks

Steve

pmansson

Reaction score
Widow or window guide...

Isn´t it amazing what you find in the bottom of the doors, below the rear side windows, under the rear seats, under the carpets and elsewhere.
Somebody mentioned a beer bottle cap, from a famous Munich brewery...
Hand built cars, approaching 40 years of age, having had many owners provide for these surprises...
Sorry for not replying to your question, but I don´t get what you mean by 4 screws and wheels....
Anyway, the older style end stops for the electric windows had small springs, about 1/2" long. One of those could have come loose over the years. The replacements today, have a solid rubber head, with the attached bolt with its threads mounting into the window mechanisms.

Percy

Reaction score
Widow guide???????????

I looked at this heading and expected a post asking about death benefits or life insurance. :lol:

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well done Percey, Im glade someone picked up on the intentional spelling mistake I made, I was just testing you all!!, Now how about some help with my WINDOW guide?

cfzurn

Reaction score
When I did the same clean/repair a few months ago, I remember these springs flying around. My sense after looking at them, and fitting them was that, yes, they do go in the indentations on each of the two 'ears' on the middle wheels (just as your first picture shows).

If I recall correctly, they push the inner wheels to the two different sides of the channels, ensuring a tight fit but maintaining the ability of the regulator assembly to move up and down the channel.

Of course, after significant fiddling, one of the 'ears' broke. No great impairment of action to leave the spring out (since no more ear to hold the spring).

Chris