Window tracks and regulator lubrication

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have finally taken all my window mechanisms apart and cleaned them up. Now it is time to reassemble the whole thing. The old wisdom was to use Lithium grease. But I read more and more about that getting hard over time.

Google searches seem to recommend silicone grease for the tracks and lithium for the pivot points.

Some recommend Honda Shin-Etsu or Gummi Pfledge. But that seems to be mostly for lubing window channels rather than steel glide tracks.
For the glide tracks, It sounds like silicone grease made by Permatex might be the ticket. I also see many talk about Syl-Glide.

What have you guys discovered?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am waiting for an answer to this as well. I tried a dry lube that is now the hottest thing for bike chains but I did not get much improvement with this. I have used PB Blaster lithium grease and it seems ok. Fearful to use anything thick. Even if it does not harden over time, the stuff collects grit and slowly loses it's lubrication qualities.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would you use that Mobil 1 synthetic for the door lock mechanism as well? Not the key cylinder, the full contraption inside the door.

Attachments

• IMG_1818.jpg
    IMG_1818.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 144

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I went ahead and purchased Mobil one synthetic grease and applied it both on the window lock mechanism in on the window rails. With that color, it’s a bit alarming looking at first but sofar it seems to be working well. But the proof will be in long term performance of course.

Attachments

• 8100CADA-0BED-436C-B27C-D420DE45D5B1.jpeg
    8100CADA-0BED-436C-B27C-D420DE45D5B1.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited: