Windsheild / Dash

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all

So I'm at the point where the windows are going back in, The Glass guy is at the panel shop today doing this, I just got a phone call saying that they don't think the front can go in because the gap between the body of the car and the top dash pad is to small etc etc.

So I'm OK with having to take the dash pad out as it has a crack that I can get repaired at the same time,

However....

I just read a post saying it is almost impossible to put the dash top pad back in with the screen in?

Any suggestions, experience ??

Thanks

Steve

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just finished re-doing the A-pillar vinyls and had the dash top out, and the windshield out. The dash top goes in first, then the windshield. If your installer is using the string method to reinstall the glass, there should be plenty of room even though the "gap" is small with the dash top in place (I had no trouble doing it this way.) I would advise against trying to install the dash top after the glass: I had a hell of a time keeping the fragile defrost vents in place even with the glass out. With glass in first, it seems to me the dash top would have to be tilted to get it back in (the edge of the dash top fits under the gasket) and I can't see how that would be possible without breaking the very fragile ends of the dash top, let alone getting the vents placed properly. I know other guys claim it can be done but it sure seems it would be very difficult. Good luck. HTH.

alanmcg

Reaction score
difficult but possible

it is difficult, but possible. sven and i did it on his car (several times actually), its a 2 man job, and you do have to be careful with the end bits (they can easily snap if not careful).

Bryce

Reaction score
I put my windscreen back in last week (it's been in and out several times), but I highly recommend having the dash installed prior to installing the windscreen. I tried to install the dash with the screen in place but no success... so have no idea how you could install the dash after the screen.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
it is difficult, but possible. sven and i did it on his car (several times actually)

Yes, but remember we could not get those pesky spring clips to stay engaged in the underside of the dash, and ended up fabricating fasteners to install after the dash was in place. The spring clips kept getting pushed out as the dash was being tilted in place.

So, definitely much easier with the windshield out.