Windshield Gaskets

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm posting this under a separate heading although it relates to a post below, in the hopes that I can get some critical mass. As people have noted windshield gaskets are not listed as NLA, but are out of stock, suggesting they might show up again. I've contacted everyone I can find from La Jolla to Maximillian to BMW Mobile Tradition (who gave me a vague response as opposed to the name of the supplier that I requested) but have gotten nowhere other than being told the only way to prompt production of additional gaskets to put in orders through BMW parts and if enough are in the system it may spur a run of new parts. What the minimal number is nobody can say. So if you are interested in this part I suggest you put in an order and see if we can get a run made. I've been ordering through Lisa Disaia at BMW of Warwick who I found through some other post here and who has been very helpful in tracking down parts (not all parts managers have been so accommodating.) [email protected]

Separately I am going to speak to a couple restoration shops around here to find out what they do when they restore oddball models, they must get gaskets made somewhere, I'll post if I have any success on that front.

MatthewCervi

Reaction score
I'm posting this under a separate heading although it relates to a post below, in the hopes that I can get some critical mass. As people have noted windshield gaskets are not listed as NLA, but are out of stock, suggesting they might show up again. I've contacted everyone I can find from La Jolla to Maximillian to BMW Mobile Tradition (who gave me a vague response as opposed to the name of the supplier that I requested) but have gotten nowhere other than being told the only way to prompt production of additional gaskets to put in orders through BMW parts and if enough are in the system it may spur a run of new parts. What the minimal number is nobody can say. So if you are interested in this part I suggest you put in an order and see if we can get a run made. I've been ordering through Lisa Disaia at BMW of Warwick who I found through some other post here and who has been very helpful in tracking down parts (not all parts managers have been so accommodating.) [email protected]

Separately I am going to speak to a couple restoration shops around here to find out what they do when they restore oddball models, they must get gaskets made somewhere, I'll post if I have any success on that front.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I do need a new gasket in the near future so I'll put in an order and hope that they'll make a new batch before I need it.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
which part number are you looking for? because I put in the one for my 73 and it comes up available from multiple sources

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
which part number are you looking for? because I put in the one for my 73 and it comes up available from multiple sources
Try to actually order one though - both BMW dealers and independent guys list the part assuming they can just order one from inventory that BMW does not have. Ive tried well over a dozen contacts only to be told sorry, backordered.

Separately, I spoke to a respected supplier of gaskets and the short story is they would need to do a minimum run of 200 and someone would have to step up and buy like $25k worth of them. So sounds like the best course is to keep bugging BMW.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is the part # I was looking for

Front Windshield Gasket

PART#: 51 31 1 823 080

And here is the response from the Lisa at BMW of Warwick, who has also reached out to some BMW Germany contacts she has that have an interest in "old timers" as they call them over there...

That my friend is just about impossible. There are no dealers that have that gasket and there are none in the country or Germany

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I had read this an hour ago, I could have confirmed it, but I will call my parts source and verify tomorrow. If they can get them, I'll let you know where.

Bwana

Reaction score
Yes, I have had the same experience. Apparently there is one from another model that will fit the glass but the chrome trim does not fit along the bottom. I'll have to find my post in "parts" to figure out which one. I'll try to order one from my BMW dealer to add to the backorder list

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Because there was a confusing list of superseded parts on RealOEM, I also checked BMW for these part numbers, which are labeled "Sealing Frame" instead of windshield gasket...and they are not available either.

Part #: 51-31-1-828-248-BOE or 51311814611

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apparently there is one from another model that will fit the glass but the chrome trim does not fit along the bottom. I'll have to find my post in "parts" to figure out which one
please let me know. I really can't wait to see if bmw will start making new ones since i need to cut out my old one very soon

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 73 3.0 bav. Does the 3.0 and 74 3.0s have the same windshield?
I found this number for the 3.0s and it's still availble
Part number;

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you have fat chrome trim on bottom of windshield, it's thicker than side or top. If you do you should be good, if not we're screwed as it is currently not available.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can live with that.
You could also install the reveal moulding trim from the later model that matches that gasket for an finished appearance. Hard to imagine someone looking at that on your car and getting all snooty

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You could also install the reveal moulding trim from the later model that matches that gasket for an finished appearance. Hard to imagine someone looking at that on your car and getting all snooty
You haven't been to a coffee & classics lately! (I joke, sorta)

world upholstery does not have the gaskets, agree if you need one immediately using the gasket from the later car without the bottom trim or with trim from a later car (which I think can be found, not 100% sure) is best option

thestein1016

Reaction score
A window seal from an li will fit. Only thing you will need to address is the lower aluminum trim strip.
I have a 73 at the painters. He said seal went in with no problem (glass and trim fit). I get the car back on Sunday so I'll update then.

Bwana

Reaction score
A window seal from an li will fit. Only thing you will need to address is the lower aluminum trim strip.
I have a 73 at the painters. He said seal went in with no problem (glass and trim fit). I get the car back on Sunday so I'll update then.

Do you have the part numbers for the trim pieces and Li gasket?