Windshield installation

bmwkai

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I have a problem fitting the windshield with the trim-line.
I was told to put the seal on the windshield, then fit the trim-line to the seal and then fit it in the car.

But I can't get the windshield fitted other than the trim-line pops out of the seal.

Hope You understand what I mean, made from Danish to English

I have a new windshield and a new original seal from BMW

Kai Nielsen
Denmark

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You may want to consult with a professional restoration shop familiar with the e9. I recall reading that getting a replacement windshield that was properly manufactured is difficult for our cars.

jmackro

Reaction score
Possible problems might be:

- The aluminum trim is not shaped correctly, causing it to pop out. Are you re-using your old trim? Did the trim get bent when removing the old glass, or while it was in storage?

- The glass is not shaped correctly (which is what Ohmess is suggesting). Are you using a BMW windshield, or an aftermarket?

- The procedure for installing the glass/seal/trim is somehow causing the trim to pop out.

My own experience, with many windshields and rear windows that use this system, is that it works smoothly. I have always used professional glass installers.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Kai,

I strongly suggest you get expert help to put your new windscreen in, it is not very easy job to do correctly.
The first thing I would be checking is if the windscreen is the correct shape, I also recently acquired a new windscreen from BMW here in New Zealand on an insurance claim and it did not fit the car at all, I ended up putting the old windscreen back in the car and the new screen in the bin as BMW refused to take it back, their argument being that their parts could never be wrong and my car must be out of shape!
This windscreen was stickered as being made in Turkey.

daddywad

Reaction score
Hi Kai

get a professional in to do it, even they took seven tries to get the front screen in correctly on my CSL