windshield seal alternatives

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe W&N knows? Considering I think the last run was done in the 90's I'm not super hopeful the tooling is around, but you never know. Here's the chain from that e-mail...

Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:32 PM
To: 'Sean Haas'
Subject: AW: Contact Form

Dear Sean,

the last supplier of BMW is no longer working.

Best regards
Alexander Nesch

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I e-mailed mobile traditions and included a link to this forum thread so perhaps they will see the interest in the part. I also noted I've spoken to someone from the German E3 club who obviously has similar interest. Let you know where that gets me.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
@duct-tape -- How did the test fit go?

Hey ya'll I'm sorry I havent made more progress to update with any news. My only excuse is that it's summer and I haven't gotten to it.

Let me see what I can do this week and get some pictures up too.

Sounds like the e12 gasket is close, but is this a size issue or a shape issue? Shortening it and sealing it with some windshield urethane seems viable if the shape is right and the trim can fit.

Its the size, not shape. the overall circumference is larger. I need to cut mine and glue it, then I can you updates

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay folks, here's what I know;
I was able to shorten the e12 gasket and have it fit all 4 corners but I do not have e12 trim to lock it in place. my e3 trim is T shaped and the bottom of the T would fit in the channel, but on the e12 gasket, it is sort of L shaped so it doesnt seat in the slot available.

I'm kind of back to square one on this.
What the hell am I supposed to do? I can't move forward with my car if I can't put a windshield in it.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
well, after giving it some thought and cooling off a bit. I'm going to keep working toward using the e12 seal. I don't want to spend $80 for the lockstrip trim piece so I'm going to make some calls.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
What about something like this or the others out there from other companies? I know it wouldn't allow our specific metal trim, but it could still use a chrome lock strip similar to the ones on 02s and newer?
https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extrusion/locking-gasket/one-piece
or Steele Rubber, Mantaline, or Fairchild Industries?
If my old gasket doesn't work, for some reason, I'm looking into the Trimlok stuff...

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
hat about something like this or the others out there from other companies? I know it wouldn't allow our specific metal trim, but it could still use a chrome lock strip similar to the ones on 02s and newer?
LMAO. this is exactly what I'm working on.
I measured the lock strip on the e12 gasket today and it matches the one trimlok sells. I am going to call their vendor when I get off work today. trying to avoid buying 100' when I need 9'

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
none of the universal seal manufacturers account for the sharp radius on the lower corners of the e3 windshield, so you need to use the e12 gasket that has the lower corners formed.
I wonder if I can find a lower trim piece, or a universal type option. the lower trim is 36-40mm. the side/top is 10mm

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very cool! I did notice on some of the sites that they had hotrod kits that came in pieces...I wonder if they have corners or kits that could be pieced together....Frankenseal...

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it would be a leak issue to make your own corners. I'm just glad the e12 gasket corners fit.

I need to clean up the metal this weekend before i get that lock strip in the mail so that I can test fit it. I'll pull it back out after I know for sure so that I can get filler and paint done

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the e12 gasket will work with a single splice and glue? After that it's the lock strip issue? But, the e12 one would work, for $80? That doesn't seem bad, if the gasket could really fit nicely..

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
i wouldnt buy anything til I've put mine in. I also suspect that I didnt HAVE to cut mine. with the lockstrip, it probably didnt need the 1 inch cut.

Dowst

Reaction score
i wouldnt buy anything til I've put mine in. I also suspect that I didnt HAVE to cut mine. with the lockstrip, it probably didnt need the 1 inch cut.

Any updates? Almost as soon as I posted in this thread the crack in my windshield grew to twice the length!

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, hopefully this is going to happen, I just received this email early this morning. I have followed up to see if I can find out if it is the earlier or later version of the gasket, will post that when/if I get it. For now this is what i know:

BMW Classic Part Shop Customer Service

C
[email protected]
|
Today, 5:34 AM
You

You replied on 7/10/2018 7:37 AM.

Dear Mr Haas,

Thank you kindly for your patience.

Readily we took care of your matter and are glad to be able to inform you that a windshield gasket for your BMW will be produced expected in the middle of August 2018.

The part number is 1 828 248. Thank you for your interest, see you soon at the BMW Classic Part Shop.

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to contact us via email or telephone.
Our opening hours are: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CET).

Yours sincerely,

Aysun Kazan
--
BMW Classic Part Shop Customer Service
Aysun Kazan

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s a euro only part number, 51 31 1 828 248, I wonder what the difference is? RealOEM shows it fitting all years as usual which is not correct. Did euro cars not have a laminated windscreen and it’s thinner?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After researching, the numbers we need for the seal are:

51 31 1 809 676 2500/2800 US up to Model 71
51 31 1 814 613 (superseded 611) 2500/2800/3.0 Bav US from Model 71
51 31 1 828 235 US 3.0S/Si from US Model 74
(Hard to tell what is different between 676 and 613, same skinny trim)

51 31 1 828 248 all models in Europe all years (doesn’t make sense as the trim changed in 74)

Looks like all cars had laminated glass, 51 31 1 801 972

Can you ask Aysun if he understands the difference? I would guess not but worth a try.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I sent your info over, let you know what I get back. It may take a bit because I'm sure Aysun needs to find someone who knows.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
here's what I got, a bit clear as mud, but I'm guessing what this all means is that the gasket fits the windshield and car, trim may be an issue depending on what model you have. I've asked, will post what I get back as usual.

Dear Mr Haas,

Thank you kindly for your email.

Readily we inform you that the part numbers 1 828 248, 1814611, for all BMW ECE models 2500-3.3Li, produced from 1968 to 1977.

The other part numbers are for US models, as you have written. The part number 1 828 248 is a clear glass windshield.

We hope this information was helpful and look forward to your visit at the BMW Classic Part Shop.

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to contact us via email or telephone.
Our opening hours are: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CET).

Yours sincerely,

Aysun Kazan

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very interesting! I won't ready to reinstall my windshield by then, so I'll probably pick one up, too. I wonder how many they make?