Windshield storage

fredp

Reaction score
I'm just about to strip the car down for a full respray and wanted to know what other have done as far as the right way to store the windscreen.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A chip on the edge can be fatal when re-installing. You need to guard against that.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Upright, well padded.

I'm just about to strip the car down for a full respray and wanted to know what other have done as far as the right way to store the windscreen.

Even a very slight point pressure will crack it.

(long winded geezer rant below, you've been warned...)
I pulled the new glass from my tii once, and a ham fisted friend who was eagerly trying to learn and help (eg getting in the way) offered to take it and set it down. I had a thick pad along a wall for it but he put it down on the bare concrete adjacent to the pad. As luck would have it, he set the edge down on a very small pebble and ... Craaack the window was junk. Good thing my deductible was only $300. Once a friend helped me check valve clearances on a head on my work bench ... Eg without the intake and exhaust cams connected by the timing chain "I'll just rotate the cam and write down all you clearances, starting with the intake side."

Needless to say I rarely let friend help out anymore. Can't afford the cost in parts or the liability.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score

I have the same issue . I was thinking of hanging them from the ceiling, but it seems to me the stresses over time will not be good for them , so I think I will try to make a rudimentary box and use the closed cell foam (found in swimming noodles) for some padding and to separate them. I hate handling the glass as it feels so delicate when not installed.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you seen hose tucks driving around with Loy's

Of windshields stacked up in the back? They've got no problems because
(A) stood up as close to vertical as possible
(B) no concentrated pressure points.
I've stored auto glass during restorations this way for months to years with no problems. I use dual layer cardboard sitting on old thick carpet scraps. But I think anything that evens out the stresses will work. Hanging sounds fine too.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Could you use the insulating foam in a can? I don't think that would stick to the glass afterwards but if you built a small box or rack you could spray that to help support and secure it.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
closed cell foam pipe insulation

Available at Home Depot etc.

Similar material to noodles, but not as colorful and already has the slit cut in it.