Wiper Blade Parking Query

Roland Grant

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help? The wiper blades on my 74 CSi aren't parking in the right place when finished with; they sit up at a diagonal angle about a quarter way up the screen.

I believe there is a dynamic braking circuit (or similar) that controls this. It looks like previous owners have tried to get round this by repositioning the wiper arms so they finish up in the right place. But from wear marks on the chrome window rubber surround at the bottom of the windscreen it looks as though this must have meant the wipers were arcing below the bottom of the screen at the bottom of their travel.

Can I ask if there's a fix - in layman's terms - that I can see a mechanic about and perhaps start looking for a part that may be required?

Thanks in advance
RG

Malc

Reaction score
The park position of the wipers is determined by an electrical contact switch within the wheel box of the wiper motor, the bit where the arm comes out.
what usually happens is that all the joints in the links wear out so there is "slop" , plus the contact swtch inside the wheel box wears, abit like the heel on a set of points.
With a bit of time and effort you can reposition the contact switch to get everything to sit properly but at the end of the day you might have to re bush the links if they are very loose
Malc

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's possible the arms are just loose, pop up the little end covers and check the nuts. If they're loose, remove the arms, run the wipers through a cycle and let them park, then reinstall the arms in the correct parked position.