wiper position problem- can someone help?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm trying to adjust my wipers so they will sit low on the windscreen and not cycle down below the chrome. I took a shot of the way they rest on my car and I'm sure something is jacked up. Any advice, pictures, instructions or voodoo spells would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20191107_200659.jpg
    20191107_200659.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 133

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IIRC you have to cycle the motor without the arms attached. When it stops in the normal park position you can then attach the arms. It should cycle and park properly then. Hope this is correct as it's been a while since I did this. Others should chime in.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok, so I had tried that and there is one other adjustment that has to be done first- I'm sure you'll all think I'm an idiot for screwing this up in the first place, but the little arm off the wiper motor is at roughly 4 o'clock, that had to be reset to about 2 o'clock so that it formed a straight line with the attaching arm- that ='s maximum distance of the wiper movement downwards, then I followed your suggestion and everything is perfect- well....

But anyhow for anyone who has the problem with the wipers moving below the lower window gasket and chrome and then coming to rest on the windshield, aligning that little arm with the big one fixed the issue.

Thanks

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
yes, not sure if it is two oclock, or other, but fir sure four oclock looks odd to me
i will try to make a picture of my setup later today
you need to have the two arms aligned so as you mentioned it will give you the farthest position, thus the lowest point for the wiper arms
the little arm can be rotated with respect to the motor shaft and fixed with its top nut, so you can have this initial setup done

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
First up you need to adjust the arm/linkage as it sits on the motor spindle, you need to get that assembly all in a straight line. Once you've done that your wiper arms will probably be sitting way too low, but they're now at their furthest (lowest) travel.
Then undo the lock nuts on the wipers and set them to where you want to sit at rest

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent picture Ramsey! That is exactly the position I have now. Thanks to all for chiming in!!

I took the e9 out for its first trip (70 miles) since putting in the new engine with megasquirt; everything under the hood is pretty good, I now have some tuning to do and some odds n' ends before I consider her ready for prime time.