Wiper reassembly

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am putting the wiper assembly back in under the cowl. It was removed before I bought the car. I believe I have all the parts shown in RealOEM. I am surprised that there is not some rubber washers or other weather proofing where the 2 splined shafts go through the cowl. Am I missing something? (1972 Bavaria)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am putting the wiper assembly back in under the cowl. It was removed before I bought the car. I believe I have all the parts shown in RealOEM. I am surprised that there is not some rubber washers or other weather proofing where the 2 splined shafts go through the cowl. Am I missing something? (1972 Bavaria)

Should be an aluminum washer, chrome “shouldered” washer, then the jamb nut.
875DCA52-C6EF-4CC9-98F7-0F62AD14255B.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Markos.

Yes, I have those parts. I was expecting some weatherproofing. But I guess when water gets in there it just runs out the two drain tubs down the outside of the firewall.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think that is correct. On the 74-76 2002 there is a rubber grommet and when using it you can not get the nut started. Another great fitting part brought to you from BMW.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The washer on the underside is nylon:
FA3DB2EF-57C6-4C97-9650-C43F50C29303.jpeg

One thing that happens when they get loose, the threaded collar gets mangled. It doesn’t
really matter but it look bad when free. The collar is M16x1.0. I had to special order the die
to cleanup the threads.
F1C12B8D-7459-4CF7-B91E-1BA835CF7F47.jpeg

If you decide to zinc these things be sure to pull that splined head off with a 2 jaw puller. They will melt in a zinc bath. Also that small groove just below the splined head is made of plastic.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks again, Marcos. I put mine back together this morning. The wipers even work. :) . It actually took me a few minutes to figure out how turn them on. Pull out the dash switch...nothing on either setting. Then I notices "wipe" on the turn signal stalk. It not only toggles the wipers on and off, but also controls the intermittent setting. The dash knob controls the speed. One of BMWs ideas that never received wide acceptance...including the turn signal stalk on the inboard side of the steering wheel. o_O

BTW yours has got to be the grodiest wiper assembly I've ever seen. If the rest of the car is like that, you need some sort of award for restoring it. Good on you! :)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, my heart goes out to you trying to gather and understand this child. I lived this but 8 years ago, stuff was still around.

I have taken to buying rubber washers from Lowe's and nylon sleeves. Even if no rubber washer as OEM, add a thin one for piece of mind.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick, my heart goes out to you trying to gather and understand this child. I lived this but 8 years ago, stuff was still around.

I have taken to buying rubber washers from Lowe's and nylon sleeves. Even if no rubber washer as OEM, add a thin one for piece of mind.
Thanks for the tip, Bob. I'll head to the plumbing department at Lowes as soon as it feels safe to do so.

Actually, figuring things out and rounding up parts is part of the fun for me. Everyone enjoys the hobby differently and all ways are valid. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW yours has got to be the grodiest wiper assembly I've ever seen. If the rest of the car is like that, you need some sort of award for restoring it. Good on you! :)

Ha! That is from a WA Bavaria last year. Mine likely isn’t any better. They clean up well however.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, not plumbing. Go to the nuts/bolts/screws isle, there is a whole section on car stuff. Lowe's has it, HD has very little (at least here).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try Ace Hardware first if you’re have one. Ace has always had the self-service drawer format for hardware, including nylon washers. With exception to large hardware, both Lowes and Home Depot seal all of their stuff in small baggies. I avoid both places for any hardware needs.

Dick, not plumbing. Go to the nuts/bolts/screws isle, there is a whole section on car stuff. Lowe's has it, HD has very little (at least here).

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Try Ace Hardware first if you’re have one. Ace has always had the self-service drawer format for hardware, including nylon washers. With exception to large hardware, both Lowes and Home Depot seal all of their stuff in small baggies. I avoid both places for any hardware needs.
We have Hardware Sales here which is a local only hardware store, but the most complete selection of any hardware store I've ever been in. Just fasteners takes up 3 good sized rows with bins. Every metric nut and bolt imaginable for our cars.

At this time, however, I'm not going into ANY stores. The local breweries are even delivering beer. :cool: . When the dust (and virus) settles, I'll check into additional weather proofing for the wiper shafts. In the meantime, they seem to be mounted OEM style and are working fine.