Wire keeper technique

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Preparing to finally replace front struts. Looking at the wire at the bottom that ties the 3 bolt heads together, I realize I must remove this and replace when I have installed new strut. What is the trick to creating this art of the twisted wire that feeds around and between these three bolt heads? Special tool? Oh, and should this be a stainless steel wire of a certain thickness? Thanks for your input. Mike

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 4.32.26 PM.png

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is such a cool tool. Never seen it before. AND Harbor frieght is having big sale!

Jon B

Reaction score
What is the trick to creating this art of the twisted wire that feeds around and between these three bolt heads?
Special tool? Oh, and should this be a stainless steel wire of a certain thickness?
I used to do a lot of safety wiring.
I have an old pair of Robinson pliers, but as Steve said vise grip pliers will work too, just not as quickly.

These are my hands wiring a CART Indycar spool in 1998...
DSCN0020.JPG

Here's a recent 3-bolt example on a 70s Porsche 935 transmission, using 0.042" stainless safety wire.
DSCN0381.JPG
DSCN0374.JPG

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is GREAT! Thank you for posting. Like I said, this is some kind of an art, in my opinion. Important safety step, but can be incorporated to show the talent and creativity of the installer. I see I may have do do some practice before I feel I can do a final install. Thanks Jon.

Jon B

Reaction score
I see I may have do do some practice before I feel I can do a final install. Thanks Jon.
Yes, it will take some practice.

When I was doing repetitive work, I knew the amount of wire required. Otherwise I have to estimate the wire length, with some excess to snip off when done.
On multi-bolt wirings, it sucks to run out of wire before you reach the last bolt head... :-(

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The wiring job in the workshop manual is pretty basic:
The art that Jon posted is done with pretty thin stainless wire. The workshop photo appears to show a much heavier/thicker wire that may have enough stiffness to obviate the need to twist and wrap as Jon does.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Found a nice MAC brand in a hock shop years ago for $3.I bought it 'cause it looked neat but never used it till I did the struts on my 6.When Snapon had a warehouse in PHX, I would cruise the hock shops looking for various wrenches and sockets If they had any rust etc or damaged chrome on them, they would change them out for new ones Also found my Lincoln MIG welder, with bottles for $245.

Jon B

Reaction score
What is the trick to creating this art of the twisted wire that feeds around and between these three bolt heads? Special tool? ...Mike
Well, Mike asked about "creating this art of the twisted wire", but yes the factory work was pretty basic.

Here are similar examples from Porsche in the 356 era...
DSCN5345.JPG
DSCN5344.JPG

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, Mike asked about "creating this art of the twisted wire", but yes the factory work was pretty basic.

Here are similar examples from Porsche in the 356 era...
View attachment 162912
View attachment 162913
Yes I did. what you posted, Jon, is cool and involves a technique that I wanted to try. So thanks for posting.;) Probably take a few tries. But I will search out some wire of different thickness. Mike