wire pin removal

germanbodyman

Reaction score
At work I use 2 needles to unclip the connectors. The needles come with the duramix repair kits for plastic bumper repairs. At home I was successful using 030 wire from the Mig welder.
A paper clip might work too.

Martin

BonitaCS

Reaction score
I think there are barbs on oppsite sides of the pin which makes it hard to remove. Like Tony said there might be a tool; it would look like a small cheep screwdriver and the ends would be a real thin metal c channel. You slip it in from the back side which depresses the barbs and then you can pull the wire out. If you can't find one you can always cut the wires and splice the back together.

Scott

germanbodyman

Reaction score
There is a selection of wire removal tools made by Hazet tools, it covers all the connectors you'll ever encounter. The kit goes for a couple hundred bucks but doesn't make me enough money to justify its purchase price. I repair Merceds Benz, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Jaguar, Ferrari and Aston Martin's for a living, so far the 2 needles always did the trick.

Martin
Just trying to avoid another tool purchase (can a tool junkie like me ever have enough tools?)

Honolulu

Reaction score
Pin remover is a Molex extractor

If the pins are cylindrical, there are one or two barbs that need to be pressed in before the pin will slide out of the plastic "holder".

The tool you need is called a Molex extractor. "Molex" is a trade name of one of the makers of these little pin connections. Electronics shops know of these but the trick is that there are several sizes and you have to go down there with the wire in hand and try the sizes until you get the correct one.

Essentially the tool is a hollow cylindrical device that only just barely fits over the pin, causing the barb to retract.

I needed one, no one in town had one, I got by with a pair of tweezers. Once you see how the barb is formed it's not difficult to work your way around it. You need to push the wire a little further in first so the barb is visible and you can get your tweezers or similar in there and retract it.

germanbodyman

Reaction score
Re: Pin remover is a Molex extractor

Honolulu said:
If the pins are cylindrical, there are one or two barbs that need to be pressed in before the pin will slide out of the plastic "holder".

T

Looking at the connector on the picture the pins are not cylindrical they are flat.

Martin